Assistant ScientistJob ID 3604 Date posted 02/03/2023
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The position is in the Instrumentation Division at BNL. IO has great strength in developing detectors and instrumentation for the use of particle and nuclear physics. IO physicists have major responsibilities in several neutrino experiments, such as the Deep Underground Neutrino Experiment (DUNE) and its prototype (ProtoDUNE), the short-baseline neutrino program (SBN includes MicroBooNE, SBND). IO has been central to the development of electronics, readout, TPC structures for these detectors. IO is also currently developing a Water based Liquid Scintillator in collaboration with Chemistry and Physics. The IO currently has more than twenty-five scientists at various career levels and a long history of research in developing instrumentation for fundamental physics.
The Instrumentation Division has an opening for a researcher at the assistant scientist level to take a leading role in developing next-generation technologies for detection of neutrinos in underground detectors. In particular, Instrumentation Division is working with Chemistry and Physics departments to develop a new detector liquid, Water based Liquid scintillator (WbLS), that could be used in a new generation of large underground detectors. Such a technology has now progressed from the benchtop to large scale demonstration at BNL. This is a new initiative with opportunity for scientific leadership. Simulation and R&D work towards a conceptual design for a detector for the Sanford Underground Research Facility is expected. Opportunities also exist for participating/leading in various related research topics carried out by the IO group including involvement in noble liquid detectors as well as generic liquid argon R&D.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leadership in developing physics models for new detectors.
- Leadership in installing and commissioning the large WbLS demonstrations (1-ton and 30-ton prototypes).
- Leadership in simulations and data analysis for WbLS R&D.
- Promoting and proposing new avenues of research for underground sensitive detectors.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- PhD in experimental particle, nuclear physics or related fields.
- A minimum of 3-year postdoc or equivalent research in experimental physics
- Strong programming ability and proficiency with modern program language such as C++ and Python.
- Familiarity with scintillator detector simulation, event reconstruction, and physics analysis.
- Recognition as an analysis leadership in particle physics experiments, especially for sensitive underground physics.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with photomutplier tubes, readout electronics, and associated assembly.
- Experience with water or liquid scintillator detector technology.
- Experience with noble liquid detector technology.
- Experience with underground particle physics experiments.
- Experience in physics data analysis (e.g. statistical analysis)
- Experience and/or interest in detector electronics
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now
Brookhaven strives to assist employees to better manage their complex personal and professional lives. We celebrate our inclusive culture, progressive policies, programs, and active community involvement.Learn More
The prestigious Gertrude and Maurice Goldhaber Distinguished Fellowships are awarded to scientists with exceptional talent and credentials.Learn More
Awards and Discoveries
Collaborate with world-class experts at the frontiers of science. Research at Brookhaven has led to seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, and many Lab scientists have been honored with prestigious awards.Learn More
The Brookhaven Experience
Brookhaven Lab and its world-class research facilities are at the forefront of scientific discovery, and 60 miles east of midtown Manhattan. Employment at Brookhaven Lab comes with many benefits.Learn More
Everywhere Is Within Reach
Brookhaven Lab is located just miles from Long Island’s beautiful beaches, vineyards, restaurants, shopping, schools, and more. Plus, New York City and three major airports are within 60 miles of our gate.Learn More
We know that benefits are an important part of your employment. Our benefits programs address both the immediate needs of your family, such as insurance coverage, and long term needs like retirement savings.Learn More
Long Island, Where you BeLONG.
Long Island is a special place to be. A place where those who call it home share a sincere pride in its uniqueness. Wherever your intrique may take you, you can find where you BeLong on Long Island.