Assistant Scientist - Accelerator PhysicsJob ID 1533 Date posted 11/15/2018
The Collider-Accelerator Department has an opening for an Assistant Scientist, for an initial two-year term appointment, to join a variety of accelerator physics efforts for the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC, as well as any future accelerator project. Among others, these efforts will address questions and concepts of machine protection. The successful candidate is expected to not only take part in but also lead experimental beam studies. One goal of such studies will be to improve machine protection for RHIC as well as a future eRHIC. This particular aspect entails work on specific issues such as magnet protection and analysis of beam aborts, possible mitigation methods for quenches and other fast failures. In addition, the successful candidate will work on support and controls such as databases and on administrative measures to minimize risks during machine operation and development.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Take active part in operation of RHIC
- Perform experimental and simulation studies of quenches and machine failures
- Analyze experimental data and physical models
- Software design
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ph.D. in Physics
- Minimum two years of relevant postdoctoral experience
- Experience with computing and software
- Experience in analyzing experimental data and physical models
- Experience with superconducting magnets
- Interpersonal skills to interact with a diverse group of scientists, engineers and technical staff
- Proficiency in the English language (reading, writing and verbal)
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Engineering degree
- 2+ years of experience in superconducting hadron colliders
- Experimental experience with superconducting magnets, quench diodes and abort systems
- Knowledge of accelerator concepts such as beam dynamics and fast instabilities
- Experience with programming languages such as Matlab, MathCad, Python, C++, C
- Experience with simulation codes and tracking (such as MADX or SixTrack)
- Experience in analytical modeling and computing
Your application must include a cover letter with your CV. Consideration of applicants will continue until the position is filled.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor