Assistant AccountantJob ID 1303 Date posted 05/15/2018
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The mission of the Fiscal Services Division is to innovatively manage the financial business processes in support of world-class research at Brookhaven National Laboratory. To accomplish this mission effectively, the Fiscal Services Division provides the resources necessary to carry on day-to-day fiscal operations, as well as proactively recommending the re-engineering and/or improvement to financial-related processes within the BNL community.
The Fiscal Services Division also provides support to top Laboratory management and the BNL community by providing professional expertise and services with respect to financial, accounting, payroll, travel, conference management and internal control matters.
The Fiscal Division has an opening for an Assistant Accountant (A--4)
Under general supervision, the Assistant Accountant will perform a variety of fundamental accounting assignments requiring professional training and expertise in the preparation, control and maintenance of routine accounting records and reports. Duties include preparing financial statements, reviewing vouchers, balance sheet accounts financial reports and maintaining accounting and control records of moderate size and complexity. May assist in special studies and projects as required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- prepare journal entries
- monthly closings and preparation of monthly financial statements
- reconcile and maintain balance sheet accounts
- prepare monthly financial reports
- prepare account analyses as requested
- assist with year-end closings
- administer accounts receivable and accounts payable
- prepare tax schedules
- assist in preparing budgets and forecasts
- monitor and resolve bank issues including fee anomalies reconciling differences
- bank account reconciliations
- assist with preparation and coordination of audit schedules
- assist with implementing and maintaining internal financial controls and procedures
- special projects as requested
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree in Finance or Accounting or equivalent experience, generally on the basis of 2:1 (experience:college) years, showing progressively more complex responsibilities in a substantive and relevant administrative role which provides evidence of the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform successfully the duties of the position.
- knowledge of accounting principles and practices
- knowledge of finance principles
- Knowledge of local, state and federal laws regarding accounting, finances and taxation
- Intermediate Excel, Word and Outlook software skills
- attention to detail and accuracy
- planning and organizing financial schedules and reports
- scheduling and monitoring financial deadlines
- excellent communication skills
- problem analysis and problem-solving skills
- team work
- time management
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Proficiency in accounting software programs such as Sage/Quickbooks
- knowledge of financial reporting
- technical accounting skills
- Advanced Excel skills
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
Paid Parental Leave
Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor