ASIC Designer EngineerJob ID 1937 Date posted 10/28/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The mission of the Instrumentation Division is to develop state-of-the-art instrumentation required for experimental research programs at Brookhaven Lab and to maintain the expertise and facilities in specialized high technology areas essential for this work. Development of facilities is motivated by present Brookhaven research programs and anticipated future directions of research. Our work has a significant impact on programs throughout the world that rely on state-of-the-art radiation detectors and readout electronics.
The Instrumentation Division has an opening for an ASIC Design Engineer to be responsible for design infrastructure and the custodian CAD/EDA tools.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for building and maintaining an up-to-date design environment with responsibilities for:
- working with IT team for maintenance of Linux-based cluster and its configuration for running reliably CAD/EDA ASIC design tools, process design kits, repositories of design libraries, storage of IP and outside vendor libraries.
- installation and maintenance of CAD/EDA design tools from major vendors, such as Cadence, Mentor, Synopsis,
- integration of designs in a multi-user environment via process and design management tools.
- organization of working directories, system shell scripts, tool scripts, and design verification decks, procedures for efficient and secure organization of design flows,
- management of process and design access.
- Interaction with the major vendors for providing optimized tools-set for the team,
- Organization of tools, process design kits and design techniques workshops and training,
- Introduction and monitoring of standardized practices within the group,
- Participation in ASIC designs as necessary
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline or closely related field of study.
- Minimum five (5) years progressively responsible related work experience that demonstrates a sound knowledge of current principles and practices in a specialized field of engineering.
- Familiarity with specificity of ASIC design processes and flows.
- Familiarity with CAD/EDA tools for ASIC design and their interoperability.
- Knowledge of operating system shell scripting or other scripting languages, such as Pearl, Python, and others.
- Knowledge of SKILL, Tcl/Tk, ASSURA and Calibre DRC/LVS verification decks syntax.
- Ability to work with group members and be ready to step up to challenges.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to execute analog and/or digital ASIC design flows for performing design tasks.
- Knowledge of back-end ASIC design elements, such as layout, physical verification, and design verification.
- The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level based on the depth and breadth of relevant engineering knowledge and skills.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/file