Postdoc - Machine LearningJob ID JR100553 Date posted 09/25/2023
The Machine Learning Group of the Computational Science Initiative (CSI) at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) invites exceptional candidates to apply for a post-doctoral research associate position in machine learning (ML). This position offers a unique opportunity to conduct both basic and applied research in concert with collaborators working on diverse scientific and security problems of interest to BNL and the Department of Energy (DOE).
Topics of particular interest include: (i) novel development of deep learning ML models and adaptation of existing ones for scientific and security applications; (ii) ML models for natural language processing (NLP), including Large Language Models (LLMs) and multi-modal, multi-task Foundation Models; and (iii) techniques supporting stakeholders and end-users of applied ML methods, including uncertainty quantification (UQ), interpretability and explainability (XAI), and visualization techniques.
The position provides access to world-class computing resources, such as the BNL Institutional Cluster and DOE leadership computing facilities. Access to these platforms will allow computing at scale, and together with access to unique data sources, will ensure that the successful candidate has the necessary resources to solve challenging DOE problems of interest. The successful candidate will join a growing research group with diverse expertise and projects
spanning the full breadth of BNL’s and the DOE’s missions.
This post-doc position presents a unique chance to conduct interdisciplinary collaborative research in BNL programs with a highly competitive salary.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
● Conduct research in ML and NLP for various problems relating to scientific discovery, workflow acceleration, and national security.
● Implement, adapt, and evaluate ML and NLP algorithms for scientific and security applications.
● Work in interdisciplinary collaborations with subject matter experts on various aspects of scientific data generation and processing, and methods evaluation.
● Formulate own high-quality research ideas and directions in collaboration with mentors in the group.
● Communicate research progress, challenges and achievements, and engage within and beyond the group on new potential collaborations.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
● Ph.D. in computer science or a related field (e.g., engineering, applied mathematics, statistics, physics) awarded within the last 5 years.
● Strong theoretical understanding and practical experience in deep learning-based machine learning or natural language processing.
● Strong research experience (e.g. evidenced by publication record).
● Excellent programming and computer science skills.
● Ability to obtain and maintain security clearance, which requires U.S. Citizenship.
● BNL cannot sponsor US work authorization/visa for this position.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
● Practical experience developing novel ML or NLP algorithms and models, and/or applying such models to scientific or security problems.
● Experience working in multidisciplinary collaborations.
- Initial 2-year term appointment subject to renewal contingent on performance and funding
- BNL policy requires that after obtaining a PhD, eligible candidates for research associate appointments may not exceed a combined total of 5 years of relevant work experience as a post-doc and/or in an R&D position, excluding time associated with family planning, military service, illness or other life-changing events
- This is a fully onsite position located at BNL
Brookhaven National Laboratory is committed to providing fair, equitable and competitive compensation. The full salary range for this position is $68400 - $113250 / year. Salary offers will be commensurate with the final candidate’s qualification, education and experience and considered with the internal peer group.
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now