Electrical Power Design Engineer - UtilitiesJob ID JR100615 Date posted 10/11/2023
Why Work at BNL?
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The Facilities & Operations (F&O) Directorate’s mission is to support the science and technology and environmental restoration missions of the Laboratory by providing a safe, environmentally sound, and reliable infrastructure, to provide high quality crafts and fabrication services to our customers as needed and to protect people, property, and national security.
The Energy & Utilities (EU) Division operates and maintains BNL's:
- Electric Transmission & DistributionSystem
- Central SteamFacility
- Central Chilled WaterFacility
- Potable Water TreatmentFacility
- Wastewater TreatmentFacility
- Site Fire AlarmSystems
- Building ElectricalSystems
- Site Energy Management Control System(EMCS)
- Energy Metering Systems
These operation and maintenance activities are performed in a manner to ensure they are always safe, reliable, efficient, green and mission ready. The EU Division oversees BNL's energy management programs including sustainability, conservation and obtaining economical electric power and fuel supplies for BNL.
The Energy & Utilities Division, within the Facilities and Operations Directorate has an opportunity to fill the position of Electrical Power Design Engineer which is anchored at building 452 and reports directly to Energy & Utilities Division Manager. The Electrical Power Engineer is responsible for the engineering and operations/maintenance of the BNL electrical transmission and distribution systems. The ideal candidate will be familiar with the AE design process of medium and low voltage utility scale transmission and distribution systems. This position normally works M-F 8:00am – 4:30pm, and on occasion may be required to work additional hours to assist with maintenance periods or emergencies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design, maintenance, and operation of large-scale facilities and systems including medium and low voltage electrical power transmission and distribution systems.
- Develops drawings and contract bid specifications Assisting in the planned maintenance and outages on equipment located in utility plants and buildings.
- Participating in reviewing and executing safety procedures, conduct of operations in a safe and conscientious manner, following safety rules, procedures, and actively participating in safety programs, such as confined space, lock-out/tag-out, etc.
- Writing or review of electrical switching and safety procedures for line crew personnel.
- Assisting the supervisors of the utility plants in routine maintenance and repairs as necessary to keep the plant operating at optimal efficiency.
- Identify and scope projects to ensure maintenance of electric power distribution system.
- Creating and presenting electrical safety training to both management and collective bargaining employees.
- Perform arc flash hazard analysis of electrical equipment in buildings and utility plants using commercially available software.
- Procure electrical service contracts such as load tap changer inspections, dissolved gas analysis and third- party testing as required.
- Serve as subject matter expert (SME) for electrical work above 600V.
- Supervise and/or inspect in-house electrical installations and modifications to electrical distribution systems above 600V.
- Identifies the need for subcontractor support, develops those contracts and maintains ongoing relationships with the subcontractors.
- Determine work plans and resources necessary to achieve operational targets; prepare operations budget estimates and participate in plant budget preparation process.
- Estimates materials, costs, and staffing requirements.
- May supervise service and maintenance contractors to ensure that work is performed in accordance with contract specifications.
- Approves invoices for payment.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in Electrical or Facilities Engineering.
- Familiarity with overhead and underground 69kV, 13.8kV, and 2.4kV, 480V, 208V transmission and distribution systems.
- Understanding of building system design and construction.
- Preparation, review, and approval of electrical system design documents including one-lines, three-lines, DC control schematics, short circuit and voltage drop calculations.
- Experience and knowledge of the following:
- NFPA 70 – National Electrical Code®
- IEEE C2 - National Electrical Safety Code®
- NFPA 70E- Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace
- OSHA 1910.269
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Ability to read and interpret underground utility drawings, one-line electrical diagrams, and P&I drawings.
- Requires some experience with protective relay selection, relay settings, coordination studies, equipment testing, and start-up problem resolution.
- Ability to use AutoCAD to produce design drawings, modify drawings, and create as-built drawings.
- Excellent teamwork, effective written and oral communication skills are required; must be able to analyze data, write technical reports, and develop work packages.
- Ability to read and understand underground utility maps.
- Must be able to occasionally work weekends or nights.
- Must be able to read, write, and verbally communicate in English.
- Must have a valid NYS Driver’s license.
- Must be available on occasion outside normal working hours to support power outages or planned maintenance.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Three (3) years of related engineering experience preferred.
- Arc Flash Calculation Software SKM Power Tools for Windows
- Ability to read and interpret architectural and mechanical drawings.
- Experience with electrical SCADA systems.
- Experience in the electrical operation of centralized chilled water plants, steam plants, water supply and treatment, and sewage treatment plants.
- Engineer-In-Training or Professional Engineer status in New York State.Familiarity with substation maintenance procedures and equipment such as vacuum breakers, SF6 circuit breakers, transformers, battery systems, etc.
The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level dependent upon the depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills.
Environmental, Safety, and Health, Considerations:
- Standing, bending, and lifting, up to 20 lbs.
- Ability to enter confined spaces.
- Ability to climb fixed and portable ladders and work at heights up to 10 feet.
- Use of Personal Protective Equipment
- Work outdoors/cold environments or indoors/hot environments
- Use of a private car may be required at certain times.
- Occasional travel may be required to attend training classes, special meetings, conferences, or events.
- Valid driver’s license.
- This position is located on site at BNL.
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now