Business SpecialistJob ID JR100731 Date posted 11/20/2023
The Business Services Directorate (BSD) provides high-quality business services to support the Lab's research initiatives by participating in cross-functional teams with a focus on risk mitigation and cost management, which is a critical component to the Lab's success. Led by the Chief Financial Officer, Brookhaven’s Business Services Directorate includes the Budget Office, Fiscal Services Division, Procurement & Property Management Division, Chief Financial Office, and the Business Operations Offices. The Directorate manages a broad range of financial activities, including the planning and implementation of the Lab’s fiscal matters and its approximately $700 million annual budget.
Brookhaven National Laboratory was recently chosen as the building site for the Electron-Ion Collider (EIC), a one-of-a-kind nuclear physics research facility. The EIC will be a discovery machine for unlocking the secrets of the “glue” that binds the building blocks of visible matter in the universe. The machine design is based on the existing and highly optimized RHIC Ion Collider. Beyond sparking scientific discoveries in a new frontier of fundamental physics, the Electron-Ion Collider will trigger technological breakthroughs that have broad-ranging impact on human health and national challenges.
The Business Services Directorate (BSD) has an opening for an advanced business specialist (A6) position within the Electron Ion Collider (EIC) Business Office. This individual will report to the Business Operations Manager that currently oversees the EIC Directorate.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for serving as the primary point of contact and managing the contract administration function for the Electron Ion Collider Project.
- Will initiate, recommend, and implement internal systems, procedures and/or guidelines.
- Coordination and review of invoices, contract extension reminders, change orders, and closing of contracts.
- Coordinating, documenting, and reviewing monthly accruals and/or receipt of all deliverables by interacting with the Technical Representatives.
- Monitoring contractor progress in accordance with the terms and schedule by interfacing with the Procurement and Property Management (PPM) Department.
- Creation of PeopleSoft query reports to maximize the usage of the interface capabilities between PeopleSoft databases and other management software products.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- B.S. in a business discipline or equivalent experience on the basis of 2:1 (experience: college) years plus four (4) years of relevant experience, which should include experience in dealing with the management of contracts.
- In-depth understanding of all principles and techniques related to contract administration.
- Exercises a high degree of initiative and professional judgment.
- Ability to resolve issues with minimal management guidance using precedents and applying applicable policies.
- Excellent oral and written communication is essential.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Must be able to work within a scientific facility, under stringent timelines, to meet the Laboratory’s needs; interaction with scientific/engineering staff along with EIC business operations team.
- Candidate must be self-motivated, resourceful, and organized, taking ownership of all assigned work.
- Familiarity with ERP systems and the ability to generate queries and reports.
- Demonstrate ability to prioritize and effectively deal with deadlines.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Detailed knowledge and use of Excel and other software programs used as management tools.
- Detailed knowledge and use of PeopleSoft Financials.
- Familiarity of Power Business Intelligence.
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- The incumbent will occasionally work protracted or irregular hours. Computer/keyboard work is an essential duty.
- There is a possibility of remote employment in this role. If fully remote, then minimal travel to the Lab will be required.
- Brookhaven Laboratory is committed to providing fair, equitable and competitive compensation. This is a multi-level role and the full salary range for this position is $79400 - $111600 / year. You will be placed at the level and salary commensurate with your experience. Salary offers will be commensurate with the final candidate’s qualification, education and experience and considered with the internal peer group.
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now