Writer/Editor (TERM - One Year)Job ID 1860 Date posted 08/20/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The Quality Management Office (QMO) works with line organizations on developing and delivering programs, activities, and services that integrate quality assurance, environmental, and safety management principles throughout the Laboratory. The Standards-Based Management System (SBMS) Group, within the QMO, provides BNL staff, guests, users, and visitors with institutional policies, procedures, and processes. The procedures and processes contained in SBMS may be driven by internal/external requirements or established by management.
The Quality Management Office has an immediate opening for an SBMS Writer/Editor. This position will provide writing, editing, publishing, and additional communications support for the SBMS Group, and collaborate with SBMS staff in completing assigned tasks and projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) in the development, maintenance, and publication of SBMS procedures, documents, and webpages.
- Consult with SMEs and assist in translating complex technical information into procedures for a Lab-wide audience.
- Assist SMEs in the development of the revision history and implementation plan associated with a new or revised SBMS document.
- Facilitate cross-functional teams in the development and review of SBMS documents and provide guidance on SBMS processes.
- Ensure appropriate approvals are obtained prior to publication of a new or revised SBMS document.
- Serve as first objective reader and last quality control before documents are released in print or published on the Web.
- Develop and maintain relationships with SMEs, Management System Executives, Management System Stewards, and other key personnel at the Lab.
- Make recommendations to improve SBMS processes, products, and services.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field such as English, Communications, Journalism or equivalent experience, generally on the basis of 2:1 (experience: college) years, showing progressively more complex responsibilities in a substantive and relevant administrative role which provides evidence of the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform successfully the duties of the position. Additional education in fields specifically related to the position requirements may offset qualifying experience
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Excellent written communication skills, including the ability to synthesize meaning and intent into clearly written documents.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and team building skills.
- Experience in writing/editing documents and adhering to version control processes.
- Familiarity with Adobe DreamWeaver and HTML/webpage development.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Familiarity with Microsoft Visio.
- Preferred editorial experience includes developmental editing (substantial editing of content for clarity, paragraph structure, sentence flow, word choice, etc.), copyediting (editing for proper grammar and punctuation), and proofreading (final quality review).
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/file