Work Control CoordinatorJob ID 2809 Date posted 09/15/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to operate, maintain, improve, and upgrade the suite of electron, proton, and heavy ion accelerators used to carry out a program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL). To support this program, the C-AD must design, fabricate, assemble, test, install, operate, and maintain unique research equipment to generate, transport, transfer, accelerate, focus, track, collide, and absorb high intensity particle beams up to energies of 250 GeV. This includes a combination of custom designed and built parts and vendor produced components developed by a collaboration of the C-AD scientific, engineering, and technical staff. The C-AD supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The C-AD performs all these functions in an environmentally-responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
The C-AD Work Control Coordinator will coordinate the implementation of BNL’s Work Planning and Control (WP&C) Management System within C-AD and will report to the department’s Environmental, Safety, and Health (ESH) Manager. The candidate will partner with other Work Control Coordinators throughout the department, to ensure that work is being planned in a manner consistent with BNL’s Management System. They will participate in planning for a variety of work activities, and will help ensure consistent application of BNL’s system within the department. The successful candidate will also execute the BNL ESH Inspection Program at C-AD. This position has a high level of interaction with an international and multicultural scientific community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Partner with the other C-AD Work Control Coordinators in the implementation of the BNL Work Planning and Control for Experiments and Operations program within the Collider-Accelerator Department.
- Screen work requests not already covered by procedures or documented as “worker-planned” tasks.
- Provide feedback to the C-AD Work Control Manager to assist with program oversight, as requested.
- Interface with the Facilities and Operations Directorate to ensure safe work-coordination and support to activities related to facility operations, e.g. maintenance of air conditioning, roof maintenance.
- Conduct or ensure pre-job briefing and job walk-down are performed when appropriate.
- Assist with writing, reviewing and revising C-AD procedures.
- Participate on causal analysis teams. This includes investigating the concern, interviewing personnel, analyzing the root causes, and reporting to C-AD management.
- Interface with Research Space Managers regarding tasks that affect the Facility Use Agreement.
- Maintain documentation related to the C-AD work permit program.
- Ensure that appropriate work permit close out activities are performed; this includes review of work permits for completeness.
- Manage and execute the implementation of the BNL Environmental, Safety and Health (ESH) inspection program in C-AD.
- As assigned by the ESH Manager, represent C-AD in work planning activities and meetings.
- Perform independent verification of internally and externally driven corrective actions.
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline or related field of study.
- A minimum of three years’ full-time relevant experience.
- Core skills include organizational and time management skills, the ability to gather information, and resourcefulness in resolving complex problems.
- Ability to work independently; have the desire and ability to learn new systems, make informed decisions and regularly exercise a high degree of discretion and judgment.
- Computing proficiency to include Microsoft Office Suite, with proficiency in the use of Microsoft Word and spreadsheet development.
- Technical proficiency in the areas of industrial safety and hazard identification and analysis.
- Proven record of working with individuals of diverse technical and managerial responsibilities and possessing strong interpersonal skills along with clear and concise oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to interact effectively with personnel at all organization levels.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of accelerator systems, machine maintenance activities, and/or hazard identification principles.
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- The physical ability to perform fieldwork within the C-AD complex: this requires the ability to walk distances in excess of ½ mile; climb vertical ladders; and be in radiation areas, areas of magnetic fields in excess of 5 gauss, or high noise areas.
- Valid Drivers’ License
- Appointment level will be commensurate with experience and qualifications
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
Brookhaven Science Associates requires proof of a COVID-19 vaccination for all employees.Proof of full vaccination as recognized by the CDC and/or WHO, inclusive of the two-week waiting period, is required either by November 17, 2021 or at the start of your employment if after November 17, 2021.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now