Vacuum/Mechanical TechnicianJob ID 1675 Date posted 03/15/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The mission of the Instrumentation Division is to develop state-of-the-art instrumentation required for research programs at BNL and to maintain the expertise and facilities in specialized high technology areas essential for this work. The Division’s research efforts also have a significant impact on programs elsewhere in the world that rely on advanced radiation detectors and their associated readout electronics and data acquisition.
The Instrumentation Division has an opening for a Vacuum/Mechanical Technician to work on Thin Film Photocathode Systems for accelerator and detector applications. The successful applicant will, with general technical direction, design and assemble custom Ultra-High Vacuum (UHV) systems for growth of photocathodes, operate these systems to produce photocathodes, and perform quality testing of the fabricated films. Vacuum design will include both specification of appropriate available commercial systems and design of custom parts, including the use of computer aided design (CAD) software. The position may require occasional work of off-hours/shifts to meet program requirements. Experience with vacuum deposition is a plus, but we will train an otherwise qualified vacuum or mechanical technician.
The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate technical level dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with scientists and other technical staff to produce photocathodes on a schedule to meet RHIC operational needs
- Maintain and operate a set of complex vacuum deposition tools
- Draw systems with CAD tools
- Work with division staff to meet the BNL laboratory needs
- Maintain a safe and respectful workplace environment
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Requires an Associate’s degree in a related technical field or equivalent relevant experience, or technical institute certification with relevant field work experience
- Ability to work closely with Scientists and Engineers on specialized assignments
- Familiarity with CAD software
- Familiarity with UHV techniques, pump systems and leak checking equipment
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical, engineering or scientific field or two years’ experience in UHV system maintenance and operation
- Knowledge of process control software
- Experience in thin film deposition
- Experience in photocathode growth
- Machine fabrication experience (Drill/Lathe/Mill, etc.)
- Interest/willingness to learn optical measurement techniques
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Will require radiation training and very occasional work in a radiological controlled area
- Will require the ability to lift 30 lbs., and to stand for an hour
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor