Utility Operations EngineerJob ID 1712 Date posted 05/21/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The Facilities & Operations (F&O) Directorate's mission isto support the science and technology and environmental restoration missions of the laboratory by providing a safe, environmentally sound, and reliable infrastructure; to provide high quality crafts and fabrication services to our customers as needed and to protect people, property, and national security.
The Energy & Utilities (EU) Division operates and maintains BNL’s:
- Electric Transmission & Distribution System;
- Central Steam Facility;
- Central Chilled Water Facility;
- Potable Water Treatment Facility;
- Wastewater Treatment Facility;
- Site Fire Alarm Systems;
- Building Electrical Systems;
- Site Energy Management Control System (EMCS);
- Energy procurement;
- Energy Metering Systems
These operation and maintenance activities are performed in a manner to ensure they are always safe, reliable, efficient, green and mission-ready. The EU Division oversees BNL’s energy management programs including sustainability, conservation and obtaining economical electric power and fuel supplies for BNL.
The Energy Utilities Division, within the Facilities and Operations Directorate has an opportunity to fill the position of Utility Operations Engineer which is anchored at the Energy & Utilities Office Building and reports directly to the Energy & Utilities Division Manager. The ideal candidate will be familiar with the AE (Architectural/Engineering) design process and the maintenance and operations of large-scale facilities and centralized and distributed utility systems. Solid time management skills and the ability to organize, prioritize, and perform multiple projects and tasks with a high level of proficiency; acute attention to detail is required.
This position encompasses several responsibilities that will increase in breadth and scope which include:
- Manage scope, schedule, and cost for a broad portfolio of facility related projects
- Serve as an engineering liaison for projects / work performed in utilities facilities
- Participate in reviewing and executing safety procedures, conduct of operations in a safe and conscientious manner following safety rules, procedures, and actively participating in safety programs, such as confined space, lock-out/tag-out, etc.
- Assist the supervisors of the Utility Plants in routine maintenance and repairs as necessary to keep the plant operating at optimal efficiency
- Assist in the planned maintenance on equipment located in utility plants
- Perform field investigation tasks for assigned projects
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in Electrical, Mechanical, or Marine engineering and a minimum of three (3) years of facilities and operations, with utilities experience and knowledge of the trades applicable to operations, maintenance, and design
- Understanding of building system design and construction
- Some working knowledge of the operation and maintenance of chillers, cooling towers, boilers, pumps, air compressors, electrical systems, control systems, and piping systems.
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Ability to read and interpret underground utility drawings, one-line electrical diagrams, P&I (Piping & Instrumentation) drawings, architectural and mechanical drawings.
- Must be able to use AutoCAD to produce design drawings and sketches.
- Excellent teamwork and communications skills.
- Must be able to read, write, and verbally communicate in English.
- Must have a valid NYS Driver’s license.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience with preventative maintenance management software.
- Some experience with project coordination with various State and County regulatory agencies.
- Engineer-In-Training status in New York State.
- Central utility plant and Building Automation System (BAS) Controls System Experience.
- Experience with chemical treatment and/or filtration systems.
- Experience coordinating and interfacing with bargaining unit personnel.
- Ability to read and understand underground utility maps.
- Familiarity with various types of design calculation software.
- Preparation of calculations, reports, specifications, contract documents, and presentations.
- Review of shop drawings and submittals.
- Familiar with the International building codes, OSHA, and NFPA standards.
Environmental, Safety, and Health, Considerations:
- Standing, bending, and lifting, up to 30 lbs.
- Ability to enter confined spaces.
- Ability to climb fixed and portable ladders and work at heights up to 30 feet.
- Use of Personal Protective Equipment.
- Work outdoors/cold environments or indoors/hot environments.
All employees are expected to work safely. Each employee has environment, safety, and health, responsibilities. The employee is required to participate in achieving compliance in our ES&H policies including, but not limited to, emergency preparedness and response, efficiently servicing and maintaining a variety of process systems equipment and overall plant infrastructure. Occasional travel may be required to attend training classes, special meetings, conferences, or events.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- On site Child Development Center, Swimming Pool, Weight room Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits.
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor