Ultrafast Free Electron Laser Program - RA - Resonant Inelastic X-ray Scattering (RIXS)Job ID 1936 Date posted 11/07/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
Brookhaven National Laboratory currently holds a grant entitled Dynamics and Control of Magnetic and Charge Order in Complex Oxides -- one of 10 nationwide programs for advancing x-ray free electron laser studies of chemical and materials science. The collaboration involves 8 PIs and 5 research associates working together to deliver detailed pictures of ultra-fast spin and charge behavior in complex oxide materials and how this organizes into domains once it couples to the lattice. This multi-degree of freedom, multi-length-scale understanding of canonical strongly correlated oxides is a vital step towards “properties on demand” via strategic ultra-fast excitation of quantum materials.
The successful candidate will work with Mark Dean and Ian Robinson in the X-Ray Scattering Group alongside Ivan Bozovic, Jing Tao, Robert Konik, Weiguo Yin and Yimei Zhu who provide expertise in molecular beam epitaxy, complex data analysis, ultra-fast electron diffraction and theory.
- Develop resonant inelastic x-ray scattering (RIXS) techniques to probe charge and magnetic ordering in quantum materials in the ultrafast time domain;
- Preparing and performing state-of-the-art x-ray scattering experiments;
- analyzing data, disseminating the conclusions in scientific publications and talks and integrating these with the rest of the team.
- A PhD in experimental condensed matter physics or related field.
- A good understanding of the science of quantum materials, such as complex oxides, or related materials.
- Excellent English-language written and oral communication skills.
- Self-motivated and able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- While principally based at Brookhaven National Laboratory, candidates must be willing to travel 10% of the time to carry out experiments at various national and international facilities.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience in scattering techniques such as x-ray scattering, neutron scattering, photoelectron spectroscopy etc.
- Familiarity with facility proposal submission procedures and effective completion of experiments in fixed time-slots using national-scale central facilities.
- Demonstrated data analysis skills. Knowledge of programming languages such as Python and experience with large datasets.
- This position will require national and international travel to central user facilities such as the Linear Coherent Light Source.
- BNL policy requires that appointments be made to individuals who have received their PhD degree within the past five years.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes but is not limited to:
• Medical Plans
• Dental Plans
• Life Insurance
• 401(k) Plan
• Swimming Pool, Weight room Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/file