Tool Crib AttendantJob ID 2653 Date posted 06/08/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Under minimum supervision, responsible for the complete and full-time operation of a tool crib. Receives and issues supplies, material, tools, and equipment.
• Responsible for checking conditions and quantity of items received and issued, and for maintaining stock at proper inventory level.
• Maintains tool crib in an orderly and efficient manner.
• Maintains records and performs paper work necessary for operation of tool crib.
• Assists in inventory taking.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Requires a High School diploma, GED, or higher.
• Must be proficient using specialized measuring devices associated with tooling such as micrometers, calipers and machinist ruler.
• Must be able to understand drawings and sketches for tooling requirements.
• Must have a basic knowledge of machining equipment and their tooling.
• Must have a general knowledge of inch/metric tap drill sizes & decimal equivalents.
• Must possess a valid driver's license.
The successful candidate shall demonstrate the ability and initiative for developing an asset numbering system for the data base, entering assets both durable and consumable into the database, and issuing and receiving assets out of and into the tool crib in accordance with the parameters of the established computer based electronic inventory system. Under minimal supervision shall work toward fully implementing an electronic inventory system.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Computer literate
• A motivated self-starter
• Able to demonstrate proficiency in a computer-based electronic inventory system
• Able to work with fractions, decimals and metric conversions.
The Lab’s placement policy is to select the best qualified candidate for an available position. With respect to Bargaining Unit positions, candidates are considered in the following order: (1) present benefits-eligible employees within the department/division and/or appropriate bargaining unit, with preference for those within the immediate work group; (2) present benefits-eligible employees within the Laboratory; and (3) outside applicants.Other Requirements:
• Must meet the medical requirements of the “Job Assessment Form"
• Must have a telephone and must provide the number to BNL for callout and contact purposes
• Must possess written and verbal skills.
• Must be capable of following written instruction procedures, work orders,and similar documents.
• Must possess the writing skills to sufficiently complete work orders and other required documents
• Must be able to communicate verbally with customers, fellow workers, and supervisors
• Must have had a verifiable “acceptable leave record” in prioremployment
• Must be able to complete all the requirements of the Job Training Assessment
Environmental, Health, and Safety Considerations:
• Standing, bending, and lifting
• Ability to do heavy lifting > 30 lbs.
• Ability to do moderate lifting < 30 lbs.
• Arm/Hand dexterity
• Strenuous exertion
• Alertness and mental sharpness
• Awkward Postures
• Frequent forward bending or twisting
• Heights up to 5 feet
• Continuous walking/standing
• Physical coordination and balance
• Ability to hear, speak, and understand speech
• Ability to wear proper PPE such as safety glasses, safety shoes, and hearing protection
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Table Tennis, Softball, Tennis)
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now