TES Beamline ScientistJob ID 1968 Date posted 12/23/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) at Brookhaven National Laboratory seeks a motivated Beamline Scientist for the Tender Energy X-ray Absorption Spectroscopy (TES) Beamline. TES is a tender-energy beamline optimized for spatially resolved X-ray fluorescence imaging and XAFS in the 1-5 keV energy range, with a broad range of scientific user communities including catalysis, energy, geochemistry, environmental and bio sciences. Microbeam (via KB mirrors) XRF imaging, XANES and EXAFS capabilities have been commissioned and offered to users, and plans are underway for developing additional capabilities.
The selected candidate will perform user operation and improvement of the TES beamline, as well as building up a user science program taking advantage of the beamline capabilities. As a member of the Imaging and Microscopy Program (operating HXN, FXI, SRX, XFM and TES), the successful candidate is encouraged to collaborate with the other members, strengthening scientific synergy across these cutting-edge imaging beamlines.
The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate scientific level depending on depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills she or he brings to the position.
- Provide user support for the TES beamline.
- Perform operation, maintenance and improvement of the TES beamline. This work includes installation, testing, commissioning, and upgrading of beamline instrumentation.
- Explore opportunity for an independent or collaborative science program. Work as member of a team to conduct experimental programs in the Imaging and Microscopy Science Program at NSLS-II.
- Collaborate with NSLS-II and BNL scientists, and General/Partner Users for effective and innovative use of the TES beamline.
Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Ph.D. in Physics, Materials Science, Chemistry or related field and at least two (2) years of related experience (beyond the Ph.D. degree).
- Record of publications in high-impact journals.
- Demonstrated expertise in x-ray spectroscopy/x-ray imaging.
- Demonstrated experience with complex instrument integration, instrument control, and data acquisition systems
- Effective written and oral communications skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, demonstrating ability to interact effectively in a team environment with a diverse group of scientists, engineers, and technical staff.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Hands-on experience with in-situ/operando catalyst/electocatalyst/battery X-ray experiments.
- Prior experience in operating beamlines and providing user support.
- Hands-on experience with X-ray beamline optics, instrumentation, and detectors.
- Demonstrated knowledge of EPICS and EPICS-based data acquisition.
- Demonstrated Python programming skills.
- Demonstrated experience with imaging/spectroscopy data analysis workflow.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now