Technology EngineerJob ID 1147 Date posted 10/23/2017
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The Scientific Data & Computing Center (SDCC) at Brookhaven National Lab (BNL) operates a large-scale multi-purpose computing facility 24x7, serving a geographically diverse, worldwide scientific community that participate in various projects in which BNL is involved. The major components of the SDCC are the 80,000-computing cores Linux Farm, the 30+ PB disk storage systems, the 100 PB robotic tape storage facility, all integrated by a high-availability general computing infrastructure. The systems are connected together by a high-speed, 100-Gb/s-capable network infrastructure with over 3500 active ports.
The Physics Department has an opening for a Technology Engineer to contribute to Belle-2 computing support at the SDCC within the NPP directorate.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with operational responsibilities in the SDCC Linux Farm team and contribute to general operational readiness
- Address user community requests for support
- Install and upgrade hardware/software at the facility
- Instrument monitoring of Belle-2 computing performance and throughput
- Participate in the evaluation, adoption and operation of new technologies in support of Belle-2
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in physics, computer science or related discipline with 3+ years’ experience
- Prior experience with Linux clusters and kernel-level knowledge of RedHat Linux OS
- Familiarity with the I/O characteristics of Linux-based systems
- Working knowledge of Perl/Python scripting languages and web-based programming languages
- Familiarity with container and virtualization technologies
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Willingness to perform physically demanding work occasionally
- Experience with high-performance and/or high-capacity data storage systems
- Experience with basic data center infrastructure services such as:
- DNS, NTP, OpenLDAP, Kerberos and Active Directory
- Email SMTP/IMAP/Webmail servers
- Databases (PostgreSQL, MySQL)
- Web services (Apache HTTP, Apache Tomcat, Shibboleth, etc)
- Configuration management (Cobbler, Puppet, etc)
- Experience with Grid (PKI) certificate based network services
- Knowledge deploying and operating secure, internet-facing services
- Knowledge of network technologies (Infiniband, OmniPath, Fibre Channel, Ethernet, etc)
- Occasional travel (foreign and domestic) to conferences and collaboration meetings required.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor