Technical Specialist (Mechanical)Job ID 1454 Date posted 09/14/2018
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to develop, improve and operate the suite of particle / heavy ion accelerators used to carry out the program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL); to support the experimental program including design, construction and operation of the beam transports to the experiments, plus support of detector and research needs of the experiments; to design and construct new accelerator facilities in support of the BNL and national missions. The C-A Department supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The department performs all these functions in an environmentally-responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
The Collider-Accelerator Department has an opening for a full-time regular, Mechanical Technical Specialist, in the Accelerator Components & Instrumentation Group. The Accelerator Components & Instrumentation Group is responsible for operation and upgrade of a wide variety of electron, ion and laser beam instrumentation systems for the RHIC complex of particle accelerators and other existing and planned accelerator systems.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Under general technical direction, and with some latitude for the exercise of initiative and judgment, performs a wide variety of highly skilled technical assignments in support of the scientific and professional staff.
- Will provide technical support for the operation of a variety of complex beam line instrumentation systems involving working with existing and future planned beam line instrumentation and may eventually plan, coordinate and perform challenging assignments related to photo-injectors and laser systems.
- Work assignments are usually on a specific task basis.
- May direct and coordinate the work efforts of other technical support personnel assigned to a specific project. The work will include component selection, prototyping, construction and system commissioning and equipment operation.
- Provide support for a wide variety of existing and new beam instrumentation systems.
- Work with engineers and technical team to develop, maintain and upgrade instrumentation systems throughout the C-AD complex.
- Successfully complete periodic training on the environmental, health and safety rules.
- Responsible for following all the rules and keeping refresher training up to date.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Equivalence of a technical institute or Associate degree in manufacturing technology and a least (4) years relevant work experience or equivalent.
- Demonstrated competence in working with electronic/mechanical systems.
- The ability to work from mechanical drawings and schematics.
- Extensive experience with all aspects of mechanical fabrications, including operating lathes, milling machines, drill presses, sheet metal fabrications, height gauges, micrometers.
- Requires a high degree of proficiency in technical skills and techniques in such areas as fabrication, evaluation, testing, operation, maintenance or construction of equipment, systems and facilities involved with scientific investigations
- Familiarity with computers and computer-generated drawings.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must be committed to working safely under strict guidelines.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Training, education and/or experience with precision electrical/mechanical operating systems.
- Knowledgeable of UHV component assembly practices within a clean room environment.
- CNC experience is desirable.
- Will receive periodic training on the environmental, health and safety rules.
- Responsible for following all of the rules and keeping refresher training up to date.
- Lifting of 30 pounds, climb a ladder.
- Driver’s license required for travel between on- site buildings.
- Must be available for off hour call-in, with arrival within 1-hour from call-in to arrival at BNL.
- This position is ERAP eligible.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor