Technical Specialist (Mechanical) (ERAP Eligible)Job ID 1507 Date posted 11/05/2018
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to develop, improve and operate the suite of particle / heavy ion accelerators used to carry out the program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL); to support the experimental program including design, construction and operation of the beam transports to the experiments, plus support of detector and research needs of the experiments; to design and construct new accelerator facilities in support of the BNL and national missions. The C-A Department supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The department performs all these functions in an environmentally-responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
The RHIC Cryogenic Mechanical Systems Group is looking for a full-time Mechanical Technical Specialist to be responsible for maintaining and installing all cryo equipment throughout RHIC Complex.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operation of large helium refrigeration systems
- Fabrication, installation, and general maintenance of cryogenic equipment, pumps, piping, valves, and cryostat
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Requires an AAS degree in mechanical technology or equivalent
- At least 4 years of relevant experience maintaining components in large industrial plant systems including pumps, compressors, heat exchangers. Experience with tubing and piping systems sizing standards and components types, and working with threaded joints, flanged joints and associated sealing, compression fittings, clamped joints, and system instrumentation such as pressure gauges, temperature gauges, level probes and flow meters.
- Good mechanical skills, the ability to work with basic hand tools, and familiarity with mechanical drawings and process and instrumentation drawings
- Ability to use a computer and to make a log entry into an electronic log
- Good communications skills and the ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to work regular rotating shift
- Ability to lift 30 pounds
- Ability to open and close large valves and use large wrenches, climb ladders and work on elevated platforms
- Ability to work in a confined space and to wear ODH PPE including a 5 min air escape pack, to work inside a 5 Gauss magnetic field
- Ability to safely use machine tools such as drill-presses, band saws, lathes, and milling machines
- Ability to work in a noisy environment with proper PPE
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Familiarity with large industrial valves, relief valves and burst disks systems, valve-actuators and preloading of valve stem, set-up and calibration of valve positioners
- Familiarity with rotating machinery and large motors, such as alignment of motors to pump/compressor
- Familiarity with cryogenic systems and/or large pressurized gas handling systems
- Familiarity with general vacuum techniques and equipment associated with insulating vacuum systems for cryogenic applications
- Familiarity with larger water cooling systems, heat exchangers, and process oil lubricating systems
- Familiarity with maintenance of industrial air compressors and drying systems
- Familiarity with prepping piping for welding, working in a welding environment, and handling and use of compressed gas bottles and familiarity with associated regulators and CGA fittings types
- Familiarity with operating a man-lift and fork-lift
- Training, education, and/or experience with precision mechanical operating systems including rebuilding pumps and compressors
- Working under the supervision of a senior cryogenic technician, as well as cognizant mechanical and electrical engineering staff, the candidate will be expected to become fully proficient in the operation, control and maintenance of all aspects of the cryogenic facility, including helium liquefiers, compressors, pumps, motors, purifiers, valves, helium vacuum pumps, vacuum jacketed transfer lines, and all associated controls. The candidate will also be expected, after being fully trained, to work independently as a plant operator/shift supervisor for the Rhic cryogenic facility in the cryo control room.
- Drivers’ license to be able to drive on BNL site.
- Possible travel required to equipment vendor
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/file