Technical Specialist (Electronics Technician)Job ID 2010 Date posted 06/23/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to develop, improve and operate the suite of particle / heavy ion accelerators used to carry out the program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL); to support the experimental program including design, construction and operation of the beam transports to the experiments, plus support of detector and research needs of the experiments; to design and construct new accelerator facilities in support of the BNL and national missions. The C-A Department supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The department performs all these functions in an environmentally-responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
The CAD Dept/Division has an opening for an Electrical Technician to construct, install and maintain electronic and electrical equipment for the CEPS group at the RHIC facility.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assembly, installation and maintenance of electronic and electrical equipment for the CEPS group at the RHIC facility
- Operation of oscilloscopes, Digital Volt meters, crimpers, wire strippers, soldering iron.
- Knowledge of single phase and 3 phase circuits. Knowledge of DC power supplies.
- Installation and termination of larger awg cables, 10AWG to 1000mcm, using 15-ton hydraulic operated crimping tools.
- Maintenance of power supplies and associated test equipment
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Requires the equivalence of a technical institute or associate degree in a related scientific or technical field
- A minimum of four (4) years of relevant work experience.
- High degree of proficiency in the use of electrical hand tools and some machine shop equipment
- The ability to work from drawings, schematics and verbal instructions
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with the installation, maintenance and repair of various electrical equipment at an accelerator research facility.
- Able to perform tasks in a radiation and high noise areas of the RHIC facility.
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- lifting of up to 30 pounds, ladder climbing, working at heights up to 4 feet high.
- BNL will not sponsor a visa for this position
- A valid driver’s license is required for this role.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab.We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now