System Engineers, Accelerator SystemsJob ID 3392 Date posted 09/12/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
Brookhaven National Laboratory was recently chosen as the building site for the Electron-Ion Collider (EIC), a one-of-a-kind nuclear physics research facility. The EIC will be a discovery machine for unlocking the secrets of the “glue” that binds the building blocks of visible matter in the universe. The machine design is based on the existing and highly optimized RHIC Ion-Ion collider. It will consist of two intersecting accelerators, one producing an intense beam of electrons, the other a beam of protons or heavier atomic nuclei which are steered into collisions. Beyond sparking scientific discoveries in a new frontier of fundamental physics, the Electron-Ion Collider will trigger technological breakthroughs that have broad-ranging impact on human health and national challenges.
The Electron Ion Collider (EIC) will have several co-located and interconnected particle accelerators to provide stored relativistic electron and ion bunched beams for collisions. These state-of-the-art high current accelerators will have complex physics and engineering challenges. Successful delivery of these accelerators requires clear definition and delineation of scope, accurate and clear specifications for engineering and support groups, and effective communication and coordination between EIC divisions to design and build the components for the particle accelerators.
The System Engineers will play a key role in ensuring the successful delivery of the major EIC particle accelerator systems by providing engineering support to the System Managers for each system. These major particle accelerators include:
- An electron fast cycling 18 GeV synchrotron with electron source, LINAC, transfer lines, and beam injection/extraction systems.
- An 18 GeV electron storage ring.
- Modification and upgrade of a present RHIC accelerator/storage ring to increase its top energy, beam quality, and beam intensity.
- The interaction region electron and hadron beam lines with supporting equipment that align the beams for collisions within the EIC detector.
These particle accelerator rings will be located within the 2.4-mile circumference RHIC tunnel and the equipment that supports them will also share space in the EIC support buildings. The System Engineer ensures coordination and integration of the physics and engineering design requirements with the other EIC Accelerator Systems, Accelerator Development and R&D, the Technical Systems Division (TSD), Civil Infrastructure, Detector Systems and Project Support.
Join BNL at the beginning of this ground-breaking scientific and engineering project and become part of the team building this scientific discovery machine (bnl.gov/eic).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
As a System Engineer, you will work closely with the aligned Accelerator System Manager to:
- Develop and define scope for all Accelerator System components, technical systems, support systems, and machine safety systems
- Develop, define, and generate detailed requirement documents, machine parameter tables, physics, engineering, technical, and functional specifications, interface control documentation, and all other project documentation
- Support development and maintenance of detailed cost and schedule estimates for labor and material resources
- Ensure that Accelerator System scope is assigned to the appropriate technical systems group and then monitor performance and maintain the schedule and cost
- Ensure that each accelerator system and component has well defined provisions for support systems: electrical power, water cooling, HVAC, compressed air, cryogenics, controls, etc.
- Track and support major procurements with vendors and partner labs, component and equipment inspection and testing, component assembly and preparation for installation, installation planning and design, installation, and equipment and system commissioning
- Support project interface management with other accelerator systems and their associated system engineers to ensure that the overall system integration effort and project scope defines and establishes clear boundaries and interfaces and avoids duplication of effort while ensuring full coverage of scope
- Track, support, and review performance data and reports, any corrective action items, perform cost and schedule evaluations
- Ensure configuration management activities are effective and comply with project guidance and requirements
- Ensure all work is planned and executed in accordance with policies and procedures
- Maintain an environment conducive to openness, collaboration, and respect for all
(Selected candidates will be placed at the appropriate level based on the depth and breadth of relevant engineering knowledge, skills, and experience.)
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, or other related discipline
- At least 10 years of relevant technical experience, with experience collaborating on large projects, and a demonstrated record of successes with progressively increasing responsibilities
- Experience in the specification, design, procurement, fabrication, construction, test, installation, commissioning, and operation of large technical systems
- Experience working with scientists, engineers, and technicians/craft labor to overcome complex and diverse technical challenges and deliver systems which perform as specified
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and proficiency with standard MS Office tools
- Demonstrated experience organizing and presenting at engineering design and safety reviews, and at cost and schedule reviews
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Project management experience, formal project management training, and certification
- Systems engineering, project engineering, and systems interface experience
- Engineering experience with particle accelerator systems or components
- Professional Engineers license
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Will be required to climb ladders for equipment installation and inspection
- Will be required to become a qualified Radiation Worker
- May be required to occasionally work off-hours, nights and/or weekends to support mission critical projects
- Valid drivers’ license is required
- Some travel (domestic and international) may be required
- Selected candidates will be placed at the appropriate level based on the depth and breadth of relevant engineering knowledge, skills, and experience
At Brookhaven National Laboratory, we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-Funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Tennis, Softball, Table Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now