Supervisory Construction InspectorJob ID 3405 Date posted 09/27/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
As a member of the Modernization Project Office, the experienced electrical inspector will inspect work within the electrical discipline associated with new construction and/or renovation work to ensure conformance with contract documents and applicable codes and standards.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 10 years field experience in construction with an emphasis on electrical installation (110-480 volt), control wiring, communication/ fiber installation, and fire alarm device wiring.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interpret plans and specifications and perform constructability reviews
- Preparation of daily narrative reports
- Develop Lockout/Tagout Plans
- Verification of work performed on contractor payment applications
- Coordination of construction work with facility operations and other stakeholders
- Responsible for quality of work
- Verification of contractor compliance with contract drawings and specifications
- Coordination of construction activities with facility user and support divisions to meet operational requirements
- Responsible to verify installation against shop drawings and specifications
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- 10 years’ experience in construction inspection of electrical systems
- Working knowledge of the latest National Electric Code and testing criteria for all types of electrical systems is required.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Valid driver’s license
- The ability to work Overtime on weekends or extended hours to accommodate contractor work schedules.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Certified Electrical Inspector
- Knowledge of fire-stopping, fire-rated construction, and/or fire-proofing
- OSHA 30-hour training
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans;
- Flexible Spending Accounts;
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave);
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan;
- 401(k) Plan;
- Flexible Work Arrangements;
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now