Supervisor Casualty & Risk ManagementJob ID 1677 Date posted 03/12/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The Human Resources Directorate, led by the Associate Lab Director for Human Resources (ALD HR)/Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO), manages all Human Capital Management functions, programs, and initiatives including, but not limited to, scientific and non-scientific employment, benefits, employee and labor relations, staff development, salaries and awards, employee records, inclusion and diversity, occupational medicine, and guest/user/visitor services.
The Human Resources Directorate has an opening for a Supervisor, Casualty and Risk Management to oversee the Laboratory’s casualty and risk insurance and related benefit policies. This position will oversee such programs as workers' compensation, auto, pollution liability, owners and contractors protective liability, commercial general liability, pollution, and excess liability. The position will also partner with others in the administration of the Laboratory's absence management programs including the Family/Medical Leave Act (FMLA), New York State short-term disability, New York State Paid Family Leave, sick leave and sick family member, paid parental leave and vacation donation programs. This position reports to the Manager, Benefits and supervises a Staff Specialist.
The position will regularly interact with a wide range of internal and external entities to assure the work is well managed including working with consultants, vendors, Fiscal, Legal, CHRO, Occupational Medicine Clinic, and the Manager, Benefits.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Casualty and Risk Management
- Supervises staff and is actively engaged in working with consultants, vendors, Fiscal, Legal, CHRO, and the Manager, Benefits for placement of casualty and risk management coverages, renewals, RFPs, alternate proposals, etc. that provide protection for the Laboratory and its employees.
- Performs complex analyses and management of legal and financial risks and costs associated with claims, applying knowledge of workers’ compensation and other applicable laws.
- Resolves underlying issues with management guidance, as necessary, by using precedents and applying Laboratory policies, industry standards, and applicable laws.
- Determines how to accomplish long term objectives within assigned functions when facing conflicting priorities. Develops and implements innovative and value-added solutions as appropriate to meet organizational needs.
- Develops and implements risk management procedures. Leads continuous operational improvement efforts for the functional area.
- Works with carriers on audits providing applicable information regarding cases and discussing applicable reserves to properly account for organizational costs. Identifies the impact of alternatives.
- Responsible for detailed review and payment of invoices applicable to workers’ compensation, general liability, auto, and other risk management programs and claims.
- Responsible for all applicable DOE (Department of Energy) submissions including detailed claims and reserve experience, settlements, and annual costs.
- Interacts with employees, insurance companies, attorneys, and third-party administrators to assure cases are properly identified, categorized and managed through resolution.
- Analyzes available information associated with claims to determine a path forward, including negotiations with the insurance carrier on reserves, compensation and lost time.
- Consults with and coordinates applicable information regarding cases with Occupational Medicine Clinic, Environmental Safety & Health, Manager, Benefits, Human Resources Managers, CHRO, and Sr. Benefits Administrator and updates insurance carriers and TPAs accordingly.
- Identifies cases for surveillance and directs carriers as necessary to determine if claims are fraudulent.
- Alerts management to significant issues and enacts surveillance, as needed.
- Provides case information to legal counsel for negotiation of relevant cases pending litigation.
- Attends workers’ compensation board hearings, as needed.
- Reviews cases prior to annual claims review and participates in such review to determine appropriate reserves.
Absence Management Programs
- Administers absence management programs in coordination with Benefits Specialist.
- Counsels employees on benefits eligibility, process, and application filing.
- Coordinates eligibility, coverage and payments with/from vendor(s) and Payroll.
- Consults with vendors, Payroll, supervisors, Human Resources Managers, OMC, Labor Relations, Legal Counsel, CHRO, and Manager, Benefits.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Human Resources or related field or equivalent.
- Minimum twelve (12) years related full-time, contemporary work experience showing progressively more complex responsibilities in a substantive and relevant position in casualty insurance and risk management which includes a minimum of 3 years of demonstrated management responsibility (including staff supervision). Additional education or certification in fields specifically related to the experience requirements may offset qualifying experience.
- Requires current, in-depth knowledge and understanding of all principles and legal requirements of casualty and risk insurance and related benefit policies such as workers’ compensation, general liability, auto, and other risk management programs.
- Problem-solver and critical thinker. Advanced analytical skills with the ability to articulate logic behind data, interpret results and recommend a course of action.
- Hands-on experience with providing data into and gathering data from an insurance carrier or third-party administrator workers’ compensation claims systems.
- Advanced MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) skills to design and develop analyses and reports.
- Demonstrated program and project management skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including presentation and executive briefing.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including cultural competence.
- High degree of initiative, confidentiality and professional judgment.
- Proven experience in driving change through influence.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Master's degree and/or professional certification in a relevant field.
- Current knowledge and understanding of principles and legal requirements of leave and absence management programs, including sick leave programs, Family/Medical Leave Act (FMLA), New York State short-term disability, and New York State Paid Family Leave.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor