Subcontracts AdministratorJob ID 2661 Date posted 06/02/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The mission of the Procurement and Property Management Division is to provides support for purchasing services, materials, equipment, and supplies for Brookhaven National Laboratory operations and programs. Procurement and Property Management Division does the following:
• Provides internal customers with quality products and services in a timely manner at the lowest cost of ownership, i.e., "best value," using best commercial practices;
• Supports the Laboratory's socioeconomic programs by using reliable small, small disadvantaged, women-owned, service disabled veteran owned, and HUB (historically underutilized business) Zone businesses;
• Ensures that acquisitions are conducted in compliance with BSA’s prime contract, applicable statutes and regulations, and in accordance with the highest ethics and standards
The Procurement and Property Management Division has an opening for a Contracts Specialist (A-5) with experience in complex procurements. Pursuant to the provisions outlined in the BSA’s prime contract as well as internal Procurement Operations Manual and Standard Work Instructions and under minimal supervision, the incumbent will be responsible for the procurement of a variety of construction services and/or complex equipment, through various contract types in a high-volume environment. The incumbent will also be responsible for contract administration functions including monitoring of progress and milestones, receipt of deliverables and invoice approval in coordination with the contract administrative representative and the contractors. Responsibilities shall also include identification and tracking of customer supplied or purchased property and maintenance throughout the life of the procurement/requirement.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Conferring with end-users on the products or services needed and related issues;
• Setting up RFPs and RFQs in compliance with existing standard operating procedures and governmental (DOE) regulations;
• Review and assist in the preparation of Statements of Work and Specification documents;
• Negotiating the terms and conditions of the purchase; Negotiating final prices with suppliers; Securing approval of the final purchase as required; Approving purchases within established signature authority;
• Ensuring that all purchases are in compliance with existing laws, such as the Service Contract Act, Construction Wage rate, and the Buy American Act;
• Reviewing and approving invoices as per existing purchase orders or contracts; close out contracts by verifying the receipt and placement of the purchased goods or services and the receipt of payment with various members of the procurement team;
• Performs other management assigned duties.
• A bachelor’s degree in a business or engineering discipline;
• A minimum of five (5) years, full-time, contemporary, directly related experience;
• The successful candidate must possess a demonstrated ability to deal with project deadlines and risk significant procurements;
• knowledge of the Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR);
• Familiarity with the Service Contract Act, Construction Wage rate (Davis Bacon Act), EEO Compliance, and Justifications for Non-Competitive
Procurements, Buy American Act, Small Business Subcontracting Business Plans, Certificates of Cost and Pricing Data as well as standard and
specialized terms and condition.
Candidate must be versed and have an understanding of all principles of the procurement process in a government environment from inception of a requirement to contract close out, including but not limited to:
- analysis of requirements and selection of the appropriate procurement method;
• creation of the solicitation (RFQ/RFP);
• evaluating prospective Offeror quotes, bids;
• proposal evaluations and recommendations;
• cost and price justification/analysis, negotiations, drafting of contracts, and modifications/amendments along with written documented recommendation for award;
• Candidate must be self-motivated, resourceful and organized, taking ownership of all assigned work;
• Must be able to work within stringent timelines to meet the laboratory’s needs;
• Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now