Staff Electrical EngineerJob ID 3590 Date posted 02/01/2023
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
Brookhaven National Laboratory was recently chosen as the building site for the Electron-Ion Collider (EIC), a one-of-a-kind nuclear physics research facility. The EIC will be a discovery machine for unlocking the secrets of the “glue” that binds the building blocks of visible matter in the universe. The machine design is based on the existing and highly optimized RHIC Ion-Ion collider. It will consist of two intersecting accelerators, one producing an intense beam of electrons, the other a beam of protons or heavier atomic nuclei which are steered into collisions. Beyond sparking scientific discoveries in a new frontier of fundamental physics, the Electron-Ion Collider will trigger technological breakthroughs that have broad-ranging impact on human health and national challenges.
We seek a Staff Electrical Engineer to join the Low-Level RF (LLRF) group in the EIC Directorate. The LLRF group is responsible for developing state-of-the-art FPGA-based RF control systems to accelerate, control and manipulate particle beams at the future EIC complex. The candidate for this position, working with other engineers and technicians, will help to design, develop, test, and document all facets of the new systems. The primary responsibility will be high-speed digital design with the opportunity to develop analog and RF experience and skills.
Join BNL at the beginning of this ground-breaking scientific and engineering project and become part of the team building this scientific discovery machine (bnl.gov/eic).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support development of next generation FPGA-based LLRF platforms - design, testing and operation.
- Install and trouble-shoot RF system controllers and their supporting electronic systems.
- Provide upgrade, operation and maintenance support for legacy devices maintained and operated by LLRF group at the Collider-Accelerator facility.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or related discipline
- Experience with FPGA firmware development - HDL coding and simulation using VHDL or Verilog
- Working knowledge interfacing with ADCs, DACs, DDR memories
- Familiarity with electronics test equipment – function generators, oscilloscopes, multimeters etc.,
- Good communications, collaboration, and presentation skills
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or related discipline
- Experience with XILINX ISE / Vivado design flow or other SoC
- Printed Circuit Board schematic capture and layout experience
- Familiarity with code revision systems, such as git
- Programming experience using C/C++, Python etc.
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Able to lift up to 30 pounds, climb a ladder (low to moderate heights), wear PPE
- Occasional travel for training and conferences
- Selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level based on the depth and breadth of relevant engineering knowledge, skills, and experience
At Brookhaven National Laboratory, we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-Funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Tennis, Softball, Table Tennis)
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now
Brookhaven strives to assist employees to better manage their complex personal and professional lives. We celebrate our inclusive culture, progressive policies, programs, and active community involvement.Learn More
The prestigious Gertrude and Maurice Goldhaber Distinguished Fellowships are awarded to scientists with exceptional talent and credentials.Learn More
Awards and Discoveries
Collaborate with world-class experts at the frontiers of science. Research at Brookhaven has led to seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, and many Lab scientists have been honored with prestigious awards.Learn More
The Brookhaven Experience
Brookhaven Lab and its world-class research facilities are at the forefront of scientific discovery, and 60 miles east of midtown Manhattan. Employment at Brookhaven Lab comes with many benefits.Learn More
Everywhere Is Within Reach
Brookhaven Lab is located just miles from Long Island’s beautiful beaches, vineyards, restaurants, shopping, schools, and more. Plus, New York City and three major airports are within 60 miles of our gate.Learn More
We know that benefits are an important part of your employment. Our benefits programs address both the immediate needs of your family, such as insurance coverage, and long term needs like retirement savings.Learn More
Long Island, Where you BeLONG.
Long Island is a special place to be. A place where those who call it home share a sincere pride in its uniqueness. Wherever your intrique may take you, you can find where you BeLong on Long Island.