Sr Tool Instrument MakerJob ID 2017 Date posted 01/09/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works on various materials from prints, sketches, or verbal instructions
- Sets up and operates machine tools, and also performs benchwork, on jobs which require the application of individual ingenuity in solving problems of method, or results required, where previous standards of operation have not been established
- Performs layout, preparation, setup, measurement, assembly and installation
- Makes own tools, performs maintenance incidental to operation of machines, and may specialize
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Requires a High School diploma, GED, or higher
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience on various CNC/NC equipment
- Required to input data manually on menu-driven and Fanuc type controls
- Must be able to monitor displays, override controls and adjust machine performance
- Should also have capability to select and install tooling as required
- Have knowledge of materials
- Calculates and sets controls to regulate machining factors such as speed, feed and coolant flow
- Must possess a valid NYS driver's license
- Must meet the medical requirements of the “Job Assessment Form"
- Must have a telephone and must provide the number to BNL for callout and contact purposes
- Must possess written and verbal skills.
- Must be capable of following written instruction procedures, work orders, and similar documents.
- Must possess the writing skills to sufficiently complete work orders and other required documents
- Must be able to communicate verbally with customers, fellow workers, and supervisors
- Must be able to complete all the requirements of the Job Training Assessment
Environmental, Health, and Safety Requirements:
- Standing, bending and lifting
- Ability to do heavy lifting > 30 lbs.
- Ability to do moderate lifting < 30 lbs.
- Ability to work in confined spaces
- Ability to climb fixed and portable ladders
- Work outdoors/cold environments
- Work in warm environments
- Moving machinery
- Use of powered and hand operated hand tools
- Physical coordination/dexterity and balance
- Some rigging & hoisting
- Operates industrial fork trucks and fixed cranes
- Work with machinery including benchtop grinders and similar
- Ability to wear proper PPE such as safety glasses, safety shoes and hearing protection
The Lab’s placement policy is to select the best qualified candidate for an available position. With respect to Bargaining Unit positions, candidates are considered in the following order: (1) present benefits-eligible employees within the department/division and/or appropriate bargaining unit, with preference for those within the immediate work group; (2) present benefits-eligible employees within the Laboratory; and (3) outside applicants.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now