Sr. Tool & Instrument MakerJob ID 3630 Date posted 02/23/2023
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Works on various materials from prints, sketches, or verbal instructions
• Sets up and operates machine tools, and also performs benchwork, on jobs which require the application of individual ingenuity in solving problems of method, or results required, where previous standards of operation have not been established
• Performs layout, preparation, setup, measurement, assembly and installation
• Makes own tools, performs maintenance incidental to operation of machines, and may specialize
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Requires a High School diploma, GED, or higher
• Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience on various CNC/NC equipment
• Required to input data manually on menu-driven and Fanuc type controls
• Must be able to monitor displays, override controls and adjust machine performance
• Should also have capability to select and install tooling as required
• Have knowledge of materials
• Calculates and sets controls to regulate machining factors such as speed, feed and coolant flow
• Must possess a valid NYS driver's license
• Must meet the medical requirements of the “Job Assessment Form"
• Must have a telephone and must provide the number to BNL for callout and contact purposes
• Must possess written and verbal skills
• Must be capable of following written instruction procedures, work orders, and similar documents
• Must possess the writing skills to sufficiently complete work orders and other required documents
• Must be able to communicate verbally with customers, fellow workers, and supervisors
• Must be able to complete all the requirements of the Job Training Assessment
Environmental, Health, and Safety Requirements:
• Standing, bending and lifting
• Ability to do heavy lifting > 30 lbs.
• Ability to do moderate lifting < 30 lbs.
• Ability to work in confined spaces
• Ability to climb fixed and portable ladders
• Work outdoors/cold environments
• Work in warm environments
• Moving machinery
• Use of powered and hand operated hand tools
• Physical coordination/dexterity and balance
• Some rigging & hoisting
• Operates industrial fork trucks and fixed cranes
• Work with machinery including benchtop grinders and similar
• Ability to wear proper PPE such as safety glasses, safety shoes and hearing protection
The Lab’s placement policy is to select the best qualified candidate for an available position. With respect to Bargaining Unit positions, candidates are considered in the following order: (1) present benefits-eligible employees within the department/division and/or appropriate bargaining unit, with preference for those within the immediate work group; (2) present benefits-eligible employees within the Laboratory; and (3) outside applicants.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans;
- Flexible Spending Accounts;
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave);
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan;
- 401(k) Plan;
- Flexible Work Arrangements;
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now
Brookhaven strives to assist employees to better manage their complex personal and professional lives. We celebrate our inclusive culture, progressive policies, programs, and active community involvement.Learn More
The prestigious Gertrude and Maurice Goldhaber Distinguished Fellowships are awarded to scientists with exceptional talent and credentials.Learn More
Awards and Discoveries
Collaborate with world-class experts at the frontiers of science. Research at Brookhaven has led to seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, and many Lab scientists have been honored with prestigious awards.Learn More
The Brookhaven Experience
Brookhaven Lab and its world-class research facilities are at the forefront of scientific discovery, and 60 miles east of midtown Manhattan. Employment at Brookhaven Lab comes with many benefits.Learn More
Everywhere Is Within Reach
Brookhaven Lab is located just miles from Long Island’s beautiful beaches, vineyards, restaurants, shopping, schools, and more. Plus, New York City and three major airports are within 60 miles of our gate.Learn More
We know that benefits are an important part of your employment. Our benefits programs address both the immediate needs of your family, such as insurance coverage, and long term needs like retirement savings.Learn More
Long Island, Where you BeLONG.
Long Island is a special place to be. A place where those who call it home share a sincere pride in its uniqueness. Wherever your intrique may take you, you can find where you BeLong on Long Island.