Sr Technology Engineer/Technology ArchitectJob ID 1952 Date posted 06/01/2020
The mission of the Scientific Data & Computing Center (SDCC) group is to provide computational support for BNL scientific programs.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is the scientific extreme scale Data Laboratory in the US. With over 125 PB of archived data, the Scientific Data & Computing Center (SDCC) at BNL hosts the largest scientific data archive in the US and the 3rd largest worldwide. In contrast to many others, this is an active archive were we continuously reuse all the data in the archive. In 2017 we analyzed 500PB of data on-site. This data comes largely from the many scientific user facilities that we support at BNL such as the unique nuclear physics experiment RHIC, the brightest synchrotron in the world NSLS II, the largest Tier 1 center for the LHC Atlas experiment, the Japanese particle physics experiment Belle II, the Center for Functional Nano Materials and the Atmospheric Radiation Measurement program. As a result, we have a lively, fast-growing data science research program at BNL, with a specific focus on the challenges presented by the analysis, interpretation, and use of data at extreme scales and in real-time. The data science program is accompanied by significant computational modeling research effort, in support of the design, planning, analysis and interpretation of experiments and their results. The Computational Science Initiative (CSI - https://www.bnl.gov/compsci/ [www.bnl.gov]) provides the laboratory wide umbrella for these activities, bringing together computer scientists, applied mathematicians and domain scientists to carry out leading-edge research, convert research results into practical solutions that advance domain science and provide the necessary computing infrastructure services and training to support efficient operation.
The SDCC is currently looking for a Senior Technology Engineer to contribute to RHIC computing support at the SDCC within the NPP Directorate.
Responsibilities include assisting with the operational responsibilities in the SDCC Tools & Services group, addressing user community requests for support, installing and upgrading hardware/software at the facility, participate in the evaluation, adoption, and operation of new technologies and contribute to the general operational readiness of the SDCC.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Manage and execute projects and take on related operational responsibilities
- Configure and deploy Indico, JIRA and Invenio tools
- Deploy and support collaborative tools like Gitea and MAttermost
- Take a leading role in the federated authentication access project at the SDCC
- Integrate InCommon/OneID into facility AAI (authentication & authorization infrastructure)
- Configure distinct IDP (identity provider) at SDCC
- Lead in the evaluation, adoption, and operation of new technologies in support of RHIC computing
- Evaluate hardware accelerators (GPU and FPGA) for future computing needs
- Integrate HTCondor and Slurm schedulers to support HPC access
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in physics, computer science or related discipline or equivalent experience
- Minimum eight (8) years’ experience in a large, complex robust technical environment
- Demonstrated experience with authentication and authorization management systems, such as OpenLDAP, FreeIPA, OAuth and KeyCloak)
- Experience with high-availability compute and storage hardware in a data-center environment
- Working knowledge of best practices in data center cyber-security activities
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Working experience with modern techniques in web development and services
- Prior experience with federated identity management systems (InCommon, DCDE, OneID, etc)
- Prior experience deploying and operating secure, Internet-facing services
- Experience with basic user-facing services such as:
- Collaborative tools (Gitea, MatterMost, DoveCot, Indico, etc)
- Databases systems (PostgreSQL, MySQL)
- Digital library repositories (Invenio, Zenodo, etc)
- Configuration management and version control software (Puppet, Jenkins, Cobbler, etc)
- Network access tools & protocols (GridFTP, Globus Online, Ssh, NX, VNC, etc)
- Willingness to perform physically demanding work occasionally
- Demonstrated ability to work independently in a collaborative environment with time-sensitive deadlines
- Occasional travel (foreign and domestic) is required
- Assignment level will be commensurate with qualifications and experience
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now