Sr. Technology AnalystJob ID 1923 Date posted 12/23/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
NSLS-II Core Controls group provides software and hardware engineering expertise on various aspects of the development, operation, maintenance and extension of NSLS-II controls systems. We are looking for a technology development professional to join the team in our efforts to create a system which can be effectively maintained and improved, enabling excellence in facility technology and operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The successful candidate for this position is a junior level technology development professional who possesses demonstrated expertise in a relevant engineering area. Responsibilities of this position are design, implementation, testing, and documentation of technology solutions to enable reliable operations of NSLS-II beamlines. Essential duties for this role include identifying and resolving problems within the area of expertise, developing working knowledge of multiple relevant technologies, and collaborating with other system experts.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- BS Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or closely related field of study and at least one year of related experience.
- Demonstrated programming experience, e.g. in C, C++, Python, or Java.
- Experience of work and development in Linux operating systems environment.
- Familiarity with software and hardware engineering practices that include testing, documentation, source code management and release procedures.
- Effective oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills, ability to work in a team environment.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with development for Experimental Physics and Industrial Control System (EPICS).
- Demonstrated experience in multiple programming languages.
- Experience in creating command line and graphical user interfaces.
- Familiarity with scientific data acquisition technologies and software, in particular detectors.
- Familiarity with motion control technologies.
- Knowledge of PLC programming and solution design.
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/fileApply Now