Sr. Technical SpecialistJob ID 1561 Date posted 01/15/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to develop, improve and operate the suite of particle / heavy ion accelerators used to carry out the program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL); to support the experimental program including design, construction and operation of the beam transports to the experiments, plus support of detector and research needs of the experiments; to design and construct new accelerator facilities in support of the BNL and national missions. The C-A Department supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The department performs all these functions in an environmentally-responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
The Collider Accelerator Department has an opening for an Mechanical/Electrical Water Group Technician to work in the Water Systems Group. The Water Systems Group is responsible for installation, operation, maintenance, repair and upgrades of cooling towers, chillers, heat exchangers, closed loop cooling systems, and controls for all Collider systems that require water cooling including magnets, power supplies, radio frequency cavities and other various experimental equipment. Some of these systems may contain activated (radioactive) water. The Water Systems group provides support to the AGS, RHIC, NSRL, BLIP, Tandem, Metallurgy and RMD.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Candidate will operate, repair, maintain, assemble and install equipment in support of the Collider-Accelerator Department Water Services Group.
- Candidate will fabricate and modify unique equipment and assemblies
- Candidate should be capable of identifying off-normal conditions and perform troubleshooting and corrective actions for these conditions.
- Candidate should be available for emergency call-in for cooling system repairs.
- Candidate will be capable of working independently.
- Candidate will be required to work safely on and around potentially activated (radioactive) water systems and will be expected to meticulously maintain the highest standards of safety and adherence to applicable procedures and policies.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Requires an AAS degree in Electro-Mechanical technology or equivalent experience plus at least 6 years of relevant work experience including maintenance and troubleshooting of mechanical and electro-mechanical systems.
- Ability to demonstrate expertise in the operation, maintenance and repair of pumps, process piping systems, cooling towers, heat exchangers and demineralizers.
- Ability to demonstrate mastery of industrial process water treatment systems, including low conductivity, high purity, pH and dissolved oxygen control, resin bed exchange systems and water sampling methods.
- Knowledge of NYS cooling tower maintenance and cleaning requirements.
- Must be familiar with alignment and have experience with high tolerance rotating assemblies.
- The ability to work accurately from mechanical drawings and schematics and interpret technical specifications.
- Extensive experience with all aspects of mechanical fabrications, including operating lathes, milling machines, drill presses, sheet metal fabrications, vernier calipers and micrometers.
- Experience with the use of common electrical test equipment.
- Must be able to solder and silver braze including plumbing and tubing work such as flaring and bending.
- Familiarity with computers and computer-generated drawings.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must be committed to working safely under strict guidelines.
- Must be self-motivated.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- PLC knowledge a plus.
- Welding ability a plus.
- Experience in an operating marine or industrial plant environment
- Wiring and cable termination knowledge a plus.
- Knowledge of NYS cooling tower maintenance and cleaning requirements
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Ability to be respirator fit trained and climb vertical ladders.
- Ability to lift/carry up to 40 lbs.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor