Sr. Project ManagerJob ID 3290 Date posted 07/07/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The Modernization Project Office (MPO) mission is to design, construct, and update the physical BNL plant to provide facilities where world class research can be performed. The MPO team is responsible for leading BNL’s efforts in facilities modernization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
This Senior Project Manager position will report to the Manager of Facilities Project Management within the Modernization Project Office. The major duties and responsibilities associated with this position include:
- Responsible for planning the work of major engineering projects and systems with significant scope and complexity. The primary focus of this position will be on hot cell design/ construction and isotope research infrastructure.
- Leads the project(s) through the entire project lifecycle from conceptualizing, design, estimating/planning, and construction to installation of the project. Will also assist in working through regulatory and DOE Nuclear approvals for the project(s) and incorporate requirements into the design/ construction process as applicable.
- Detailed Knowledge of EVMS, CAM responsibilities, and scheduling.
- Will direct the work of a group of engineers, technicians, contractors, and outside Architects/Engineers to successfully complete the assigned projects.
- Will act as the liaison between the senior scientific staff and design engineering staff to assure that programmatic requirements are captured and the design meets the research needs.
- Ability to use advanced principles to design, develop, specify, test and evaluate solutions and plans.
- Demonstrates leadership to ensure adherence to work scope, schedule and budget; use of innovative approaches to address complex problems or constructability issues.
- Monitors and oversees the construction process and inspectors who monitor the construction work.
- Ensures that solutions and engineering design comply with established procedures, programs and policies at BNL.
- Performs detailed design work, determines resource needs for assigned projects, prepares specifications and preliminary design reviews.
- Makes presentations both organizationally and to senior management on a regular basis. Interacts with DOE and the local site office on a regular basis to convey the status of the project and works through challenges as they arise.
- Develops project plans to meet customer needs within available budget and time frame.
- Reports directly to senior level F/O and MPO management within the organization.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture or Engineering.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in a combination of project management, building design and facility construction.
- Demonstrated project experience in the development and execution of projects greater than $50M from conceptual through detailed design, construction and turnover to operations.
- Experience meeting with clients, writing proposals and defining the scope of work.
- Must be capable of leading a diverse project team, developing project schedules/ cost estimates, and overseeing the construction process for assigned projects.
- Must be a highly professional self starter and motivated individual who will ask questions and be proactive with their assigned work.
Preferred Knoweledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Advanced degree (e.g., Masters’ degree in Architecture or Engineering).
- Experience in Nuclear/ Hot Cell/ Isotope Research or design for construction projects.
- New York State Licensed PE.
- Knowledge of DOE Order 413.3b.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory, we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Table Tennis, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now