Sr. Project Manager EngineerJob ID 2497 Date posted 01/21/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The MPO mission is to design, construct, and update the physical plant of BNL to provide facilities where world class research can be performed.
This Senior Project Manager position will report to the Manager of Facilities Project Management within the Modernization Project Office. The major duties and responsibilities associated with this position include:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for planning the work of major engineering projects and systems with significant scope and complexity.
- Leads the project through the entire project lifecycle from conceptualizing, design, estimating/planning, and construction to installation of the project.
- May direct the work of a group of engineers, technicians, contractors, and outside Architects/Engineers to successfully complete the assigned projects.
- Ability to use advanced principles to design, develop, specify, test and evaluate solutions and plans.
- Demonstrates leadership to ensure adherence to work scope, schedule and budget; use of innovative approaches to address complex problems or constructability issues
- Monitors and oversees the construction process and inspectors who monitor the construction work
- Ensures that solutions and engineering design comply with established procedures, programs and policies
- Performs detailed design work, determines resource needs for assigned projects, prepares specifications and preliminary design reviews
- Makes presentations both organizationally and to senior management when asked
- Develops project plans to meet customer needs within available budget and time frame.
- Reports directly to senior level MPO management within the organization.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Architecture or Engineering (of a related discipline).
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in project management, building design and facility construction.
- Demonstrated project experience in the development and execution of construction projects (of $20M+) from conceptual through detailed design, cost estimation and construction.
- Experience meeting with clients, writing proposals and defining the scope of work
- Must be capable of collaborating with and leading a diverse project team, developing project schedules/ cost estimates, and overseeing the construction process for assigned projects.
- Proven ability to identify and mitigate project risks, develop contingency plans and provide solutions.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Project management experience with large-scale design and construction projects, preferred.
- PMP Certification
- PE License
- Requires ability to work outside and climb ladders
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans;
- Flexible Spending Accounts;
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave);
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan;
- 401(k) Plan;
- Flexible Work Arrangements;
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now