Sr. Project Controls / Sr. Project Management SpecialistJob ID 991 Date posted 01/12/2018
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The mission of the Project Management Center is to provide the Laboratory with a Project Management process and system that will lead to achieving outstanding project management capability and foster an on-going process of sizing Project Management methodology implementing a graded approach that optimally aligns resources and methodology to achieve our management goals of successfully completing projects on time and within budget.
Candidate will report to the Project Management Center Manager and will implement cost and schedule project planning and control functions for large scientific construction projects and smaller Research and Development projects. The project management/controls experience should be in the earliest stages of project planning through execution and closeout phases of a project. Selected candidate will draw upon an advanced understanding of project management methodology, project control principles, and hands-on experience with Primavera to successfully manage work, resources, and dollars using project controls tools.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implement all aspects of an earned value management system, which consists of developing a fully integrated resource loaded schedule
- Assist technical management in developing resource requirements to support the development of the project cost estimate
- Analysis of the project schedule using critical path methodology
- Manage changes to the schedule and/or baseline
- Generate performance measurement monthly reports for the management team
- Interface with project technical staff to define scope of work, project risks , baseline changes variance analysis, and implementation of corrective actions
- Presenting project data at meetings or external reviews
- Support the development and deployment of new techniques and tools
- Develop templates, serving as a scheduling tool expert, and advise program managers/control account managers on the maintenance of their schedules
- Support proposal preparation, procedure development and Project Management Training
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a related discipline. Equivalency is based on a 2:1 (experience:college) years experience.
- Ten (10) years of professional cost/scheduling experience
- Working knowledge of cost estimating, budgeting and control
- Working knowledge of Earned Value Management System processes and requirements
- Must be proficient in Primavera (6.2 or higher) software
- Proficiency in scheduling theory, techniques and methodologies
- Proficiency in project management principles
- Strong Microsoft Office Suite and Microsoft Project experience.
- Solid analytical and reasoning skills and proven ability to develop solutions to complex problems is required
- Must possess strong interpersonal and time management skills
- Strong verbal communication skills with public speaking experience
- Must be a self-starter, a team player and able to perform independently
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience in a DOE project environment and Cobra cost processing software
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Swimming Pool, Weight room Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor