Sr. Network EngineerJob ID 1878 Date posted 08/31/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
Network Services purview is to provide data and voice communications that are highly available and robust in order to facilitate and support operations and research at BNL. We provide the network foundation underlying the critical services within the enterprise and scientific computing including collaboration services (Voice/VTC), security, High Throughput Computing (HTC), data acquisition systems, safety and monitoring. Network Services’ works closely with all BNLs users and IT organizations to provide a holistic network approach from requirements gathering, design, procurement, installation, deployment, monitoring, maintenance and optimization.
The BNL campus is over 5,000 acres and contains over 300 buildings and two large data centers. Over 100 of these buildings are connected to the BNL Campus network through various types of L1 technologies such as, DSL, wireless point to point bridges or through our large campus fiber optic cabling infrastructure. The BNL campus network is comprised of over 800+ routers and switches, 600+ wireless access points and numerous pairs of firewalls and load balancers from various vendors.
BNLs current data center is roughly 15,000 sq. ft. with over 3MW of capacity. Network Services’ is responsible for architecting and operating this facilities Terabit Per Second network infrastructure which connects over 64,000 CPU cores, multiple High-Performance Computing clusters, 55 Petabytes of disk storage and 150 Petabytes of tape storage. We are also responsible for the entire fiber optical and copper cabling infrastructure. BNL is also currently in the process of building a new 60,000 sq. ft. data center to accommodate its growing operations.
BNLs Network Perimeter and Science DMZ help to support open high-speed Internet/WAN connectivity for all collaborations throughout the BNL campus. It is responsible for transferring over 120 Petabytes of data yearly, roughly 10 Petabytes per month. BNLs Network Perimeter consists of redundant hardware with multiple diverse 100GbE WAN circuits containing various IPv4/IPv6 L2/L3VPNs which connect BNL to numerous collaborations worldwide.
Part of ensuring our groups success is our commitment to elevating employees’ skill sets by mentoring engineers and working as cohesive unit, promoting work-life balance, and providing challenging and extremely unique projects.
The Information Technology Division has an opening for a Senior Network Engineer. In this position you will demonstrate expertise in various disciplines within IT Networking while supporting all aspects of a/the Network infrastructure consisting of LAN/WAN, HW & SW, routers, switches, firewalls, management systems, and monitoring systems. You will diagnoses, resolve, and document all aspects of supporting, implementing and managing an Enterprise network environment. You will resolve hardware and software network problems in a timely and accurate manner; monitor the LAN/WAN devices including traffic and utilization trends; document and audit cabling configurations; design, specify, and document the LAN/WAN infrastructure in consultation with the IS Organization and according to user needs, and survey performance needs and goals of LAN users, make recommendations to enhance operations and availability.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the overall direction, architecture and design of future laboratory projects which could involve network security, wireless, load balancing, virtualization (overlay technologies) or small and large routing and switching designs
- Work closely with BNL users and IT organizations to gather requirements and produce network solutions that are scalable, fault tolerant and well documented
- Interface with vendors to identify and evaluate new technologies and products (hardware or software) and determine whether they align with the business needs of the laboratory
- Act as a Tier-3/escalation engineer to analyze and troubleshoot complex network issues and help to coordinate tactical and strategic solutions to these issues
- Participate in rotating on-call after-hours/weekend support with other network engineers
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent full-time directly related experience (2 years work:1 year college) OR a CCNP certification (or equivalent certification)
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience in the installation, operation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of multi-vendor, multi-protocol networks
- Experience on one or more network equipment such as Arista, Juniper, and Cisco
- Experience in LAN/WAN technologies and protocols, such as QoS, Spanning-Tree, BGP, and OSPF
- Experience in TCP/IP and the OSI Model
- Experience with Firewall, VPN and Remote Access and Wireless Technologies
- Familiarity with network management tools such as Spectrum and Cacti
- Experience and knowledge in designing and implementation of large complex networks
- Manage projects with minimal supervision from start to finish
- Verbal and written communication skill.
- Must be willing to be "on-call" for after-hours support adn work extended hours and Holidays as needed
- Valid NYS drivers' license and use of private car.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science
- VoIP experience
- Familiarity with programming languages such as Ansible, Python, PHP, or MySQL
- Must be able to lift 30 pounds
- Must be able to climb a 6’ ladder
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/file