Sr Mechanical DesignerJob ID 3254 Date posted 06/23/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to operate, maintain, improve, and upgrade the suite of electron, proton, and heavy ion accelerators used to carry out a program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL). To support this program, the C-AD must design, fabricate, assemble, test, install, and operate unique research equipment to generate, transport, transfer, accelerate, focus, track, collide, and absorb high intensity particle beams up to energies of 250 GeV. This includes a combination of custom designed and built parts and vendor produced components developed by a collaboration of the C-AD scientific, engineering, and technical staff. The C-AD supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The C-AD performs all these functions in an environmentally-responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
The Collider-Accelerator Department has an opening for a Senior Mechanical Designer in the Design and Documentation Group. Under the technical direction of the group leader and the responsible engineer/scientist, you will design and provide fabrication drawings for components used for the particle accelerators such as water, gas, or cryogenic fluid piping, structural piping supports, and other mechanical assemblies using 3D design and piping software. Assignments are usually on a project basis, so you must be able to exercise a high degree of initiative and judgement to plan, coordinate, and perform the design efforts. This position will have a high level of interaction with an international and multicultural scientific community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create accurate and detailed 3D system piping and component designs as well as mechanical manufacturing drawings to ANSI Y14.5 standards
- Perform mechanical design functions independently with general direction and review by a mechanical/civil engineer or scientist
- Design water, fluid, and/or gas piping systems and structural piping supports
- Requires a technical institute or associate degree in a related scientific or engineering field
- A minimum of 6 years’ full-time related experience that must include using 3D CAD software designing mechanical components and systems for fabrication
- Knowledge of material properties, component choice, manufacturing, installation, and machine shop processes, and dimensioning and tolerances
- Experience with Creo, Inventor and/or Solid Works 3D modeling and design software
- Knowledge of material properties, manufacturing/machine shop processes, welding, and dimensioning and tolerances a must
- Must be able to create accurate and detailed 3D system designs as well as mechanical manufacturing drawings to ANSI Y14.5 standards
- Ability to review and check the work efforts of other design personnel
- Excellent interpersonal and time management skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook)
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Engineering Technology
- Follow ASME Y14.5, as well as laboratory standards for magnet design, vacuum chamber, welding, fabrication, and assembly
- Experience with AutoCAD is a plus
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Ability to climb ladders and/or work at heights above 6 feet for field inspection and measurement.
- Individual will be required to become a qualified Radiation Worker and may be required to work in Radiation areas
- Individual may be required to occasionally work off-hours, nights or weekends to support mission critical projects
- Must have good vision and hand dexterity for computer use and field inspection and measurement
- Must have valid driver’s license for field inspection and measurement
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now