Sr. Linux Analyst/Jr. Linux EngineerJob ID 3091 Date posted 06/13/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
Linux Analyst or Engineer (I-5 to I-6) – The BNL Information Technology Division (ITD) has an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated Sr. Linux Analyst or Jr. Linux Engineer.
In this role, you will be responsible for the hands-on, Level 2 operation of various core IT services in support of the National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) beamlines and accelerator, maintaining existing systems, and implementing and supporting new IT services for the NSLS user community.
Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to, collaboration on cross-functional team projects, in support of Lab-wide initiatives and scientific customer needs. You will also be responsible to instruct and direct colleagues in routine IT activities and elevate the collaborative team culture across the beamline support teams.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Endpoint management and provisioning of Red Hat Enterprise Linux workstations including operating system, networking, authentication, and configuration management
- Troubleshoot and resolve routine Red Hat Linux workstation issues on NSLS-II beamlines in partnership with the beamline support teams
- Provide technical support on the phone, via MS Teams, and in-person at the NSLS-II facility
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- BA/BS Degree preferably in Computer Science or related discipline or equivalent experience or certifications
- Minimum one (1) year work Experience supporting and operating Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 or 8 (or equivalent Red Hat derivative) workstations and services, including ability to independently identify and troubleshoot operating system and application issues
- Ability to write fundamental documentation in a clear, concise manner, adhering to standards
- Proven ability to instruct and transfer technical knowledge to other team members
- Customer service experience
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Expertise with Red Hat Satellite Server 6.x and/or Foreman 1.7.2 or later
- Task automation with a central configuration management framework (e.g., Puppet modules or Ansible playbook/roles)
- Experience using GitLab or GitHub Enterprise as a DevOps platform
- Ad hoc automation and application integrations with a scripting language
- Red Hat Ansible Automation Platform, Ansible Tower, and/or the AWX project to manage automation tasks
- Kubernetes, Docker Swarm, and/or OpenShift container orchestration technologies experience
- Knowledge of compliance standards such as FedRAMP, NIST and CIS
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Lifting, moderate 15-30lbs
- Arm/hand dexterity
- Vision, good near (computer work)
- Vision, good distance (driving)
- Must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19
- Requires drivers’ license and use of private car
- Telework may be available
Selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate position level dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge, skills, as well as years of relevant experience.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans;
- Flexible Spending Accounts;
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave);
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan;
- 401(k) Plan;
- Flexible Work Arrangements;
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs;
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis).
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now