Sr. Electronic TechnicianJob ID 1897 Date posted 09/23/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to develop, improve and operate the suite of particle / heavy ion accelerators used to carry out the program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL); to support the experimental program including design, construction and operation of the beam transports to the experiments, plus support of detector and research needs of the experiments; to design and construct new accelerator facilities in support of the BNL and national missions. The C-A Department supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The department performs all these functions in an environmentally-responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
The Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) has an opening for a Senior Technician that will provide technical support for the operation of a variety of complex beam line instrumentation systems. The position involves working with existing and future planned beam line instrumentation components and signal processing electronics
- Work with existing and future planned beam line instrumentation components and signal processing electronics.
- Will plan, coordinate and perform challenging project assignments in such areas as design, development, operation, construction and/or testing.
- May direct and coordinate the work efforts of other technical support personnel assigned to a specific project.
- Will work as a contributing and productive member of a team of technicians and assist in many phases of component selection, prototyping, construction, system commissioning and equipment operation.
- Installation and termination of cables used for particle accelerator systems, including high current/high voltage copper, multi-strand and co-axial instrumentation, fiber optic, and RF heliax cable.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Associate’s degree in electronics technology/engineering (or technical institute graduate) or with relevant field work experience.
- Experience with electronics troubleshooting to the component level, including op-amps, logic gates, transistors, etc…
- The ability to work from electronic schematics
- Familiarity with computers and Excel, Word and electronic circuit drawing software
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Must be committed to working safely under strict guidelines
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Two (2) years relevant work experience, or a Bachelors in an electronics technical field.
- Experience with electronic system chassis assembly work.
- Training, education, and/or experience with instrumentation, video, high voltage/high current, radiofrequency, and vacuum systems are a plus.
Environmental, Health, and Safety Requirements:
- Will receive periodic training on the environmental, health and safety rules.
- Responsible for following all of the rules and keep refresher training up to date.
- Driver’s license required for travel between on-site buildings.
- Must be available for off-hour call-in, with arrival within 1-hour from call-in to arrival at BNL.
- The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level based on their experience.
- BNL will not sponsor a visa for this position.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Pension Plan
- On-site Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits.
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/file