Software Engineering Group LeaderJob ID 3498 Date posted 11/18/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to operate, maintain, improve, and upgrade the suite of electron, proton, and heavy ion accelerators used to carry out a program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL). To support this program, the C-AD must design, fabricate, assemble, test, install, and operate unique research equipment to generate, transport, transfer, accelerate, focus, track, collide, and absorb high intensity particle beams up to energies of 250 GeV. This includes a combination of custom designed and built parts and vendor produced components developed by a collaboration of the C-AD scientific, engineering, and technical staff. The C-AD supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The C-AD performs all these functions in an environmentally-responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
The Collider-Accelerator Dept has an opening for an experienced control system software engineer to lead the group responsible for distributed data acquisition and equipment control software for the accelerators at C-AD. The successful candidate will assume responsibility for development of new systems and support of existing systems. They will work closely with controls hardware staff, C-AD physicists, engineering staff and accelerator operation specialists. This position has a high level of interaction with an international and multicultural scientific community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with C-AD physicists, engineers, and operators and with fellow Controls Group members to understand equipment interface software needs at C-AD.
- Supervise the design, development, testing, QA, documentation, and maintenance of equipment interface software by Front End Controls (FEC) group members.
- Design, develop, test, document and maintain equipment interface software as a member of the Front-End Controls (FEC) team.
- Provide operational support of software for new and existing systems.
- B.S. in Physics, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field or equivalent directly related experience.
- 8+ years of full-time experience in accelerator controls or other complex system controls.
- Supervisory experience or project leadership experience.
- Experience in hardware/software integration in complex systems.
- Clear and Concise communication skills.
- Demonstrated skill in solving difficult technical problems.
- Experience programming in C/C++ languages.
- Experience working with embedded systems.
- Experience working in UNIX/Linux environments.
- Ability to be part of a team that provides 24/7 system support.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Advanced degree in Physics, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field.
- Experience with EPICS or other control system software framework.
- Experience in device driver programming.
- Experience developing and/or maintaining network communication software.
- Experience in Machine Learning or Artificial Intelligence systems.
- Experience programming in python.
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Most work will be performed at a personal computer workstation. At times there will be a need to visit locations around the C-AD complex where Control System computers are deployed. Attendance at meetings will also be required – both virtual and in-person.
- Must have a valid driver license to navigate throughout the Lab site.
- Mental sharpness and good near vision.
- Appointment level will be commensurate with experience and qualification
- At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now