Senior Veterinary Service AssistantJob ID 1886 Date posted 09/27/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
Researchers in the Biology Department at Brookhaven National Laboratory seek to unravel and fully describe the complexities of biological systems—from how plants make oils and other products to the role of proteins in disease. Our work helps to develop and makes use of the tools and techniques of biochemistry, molecular genetics, and structural biology. We also leverage the unique capabilities of Brookhaven’s National Synchrotron Light Source-II and Center for Functional Nanomaterials, major research facilities open to scientists from around the world. Our research makes important contributions to fulfilling the missions of the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Basic Energy Sciences and Office of Biological and Environmental Research. In addition, together with the Collider-Accelerator Department, the Biology Department manages the NASA Space Radiation Laboratory (NSRL) at Brookhaven, which is used by radiobiologists and physicists to study the effects of space radiation on both living and non-living systems with the aim of protecting future astronauts.
The Brookhaven Laboratory Animal Facility (BLAF) has an opening for a Sr. Veterinary Services Assistant. In this capacity you will provide full cycle general care, maintenance, and handling of laboratory animals/rodents and assist researchers in the handling of specimen for during procedures. General laboratory maintenance and operations duties and reporting will also be assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Receive, observe, handle, house, feed, transport, manipulate, and restrain various animal species.
• Collect samples, monitor health, medicate, anesthetize, and euthanize.
• Wash and sterilize caging and other laboratory glassware and equipment using mechanical washers and autoclaves.
• Maintain work areas in a clean, safe and efficient manner.
• Communicate animal health concerns to Veterinarian, facility management and investigative staff.
• Follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) and regulatory requirements.
• Assist with facility documents and report submissions for animal room logs, monthly census sheets, supply inventories, and shipping manifests.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• High School Diploma or equivalent.
• At least two years of full-time experience working in an animal research facility or in a medical field environment experienced with medical terminology, sterilization techniques, blood withdrawal, and customer service.
• Must be able to understand the work being performed on the animals in order to observe and report their condition to the appropriate personnel.
• Knowledge of basic computer programs (Word, Excel).
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Ability to develop and maintain good working relationships with team members, management and investigative staff.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• American Association of Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) certification or Associates degree and related experience.
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
• Lift up to 50 pounds, bend, push, pull equipment and stand for prolonged periods throughout the workday.
• Able to work weekends, holidays and overtime as needed.
• Possess a valid NYS driver’s license.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
• Medical Plans
• Dental Plans
• Life Insurance
• 401(k) Plan
• Retirement Plan
• Paid Parental Leave
• Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits.
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/file