Senior Technology EngineerJob ID 1723 Date posted 04/18/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is the scientific extreme scale Data Laboratory in the US. With over 125 PB of data, the Scientific Data & Computing Center (SDCC) at BNL hosts the largest scientific data archive in the US and the 3rd largest worldwide. This data comes from BNL’s scientific user facilities and experiments such as the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC, a DOE Office of Science User Facility for nuclear physics research), the ATLAS experiment at the Large Hadron Collider in Europe, the Japanese particle physics experiment Belle II, the Center for Functional Nanomaterials, and the Atmospheric Radiation Measurement program. The data science program is accompanied by significant computational modeling research effort, in support of the design, planning, analysis and interpretation of experiments and their results. The SDCC is part of BNL’s Computational Science Initiative (CSI - https://www.bnl.gov/compsci/) which provides the laboratory wide umbrella for these activities, bringing together computer scientists, applied mathematicians and domain scientists to carry out leading edge research, convert research results into practical solutions that advance domain science and provide the necessary computing infrastructure services and training to support efficient operations.
BNL’s Scientific Data & Computing Center (SDCC) is seeking a Senior Technology Engineer to provide computing support to the RHIC. The selected individual will perform a key operational role on the SDCC Storage team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform a prominent role in operational activities of the Storage team, such as:
- Monitor performance and reliability of data storage systems
- Collaborate with technology suppliers, user community and staff to optimize reliability and performance of storage systems
- Provide technical support on seamless integration of storage systems with other facility services such as computing, data movement and activity logging
- Participate in the formulation of policies and protocols for federated authentication access to the SDCC
- Lead in the evaluation, adoption and operation of new technologies in support of RHIC computing
- Contribute to general operational readiness
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in physics, computer science or related discipline with 8+ years’ relevant experience.
- Experience with Linux clusters and kernel-level knowledge of RedHat Linux OS.
- Demonstrated experience with multiple high performance and/or high capacity data storage systems.
- Experience with high-availability compute and storage hardware in a data center environment.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with the HPSS (High Performance Storage System) mass storage system.
- Experience with scale-out disk storage systems/technologies (GPFS, Lustre, Ceph, HDFS, etc)
- Experience deploying and operating secure, Internet-facing services.
- Experience with basic data center infrastructure services such as:
- DNS, NTP, OpenLDAP, FreeIPA, Kerberos, InCommon.
- Databases systems (PostgreSQL, MySQL).
- Back-up services (TSM, TiBS).
- Configuration management and version control software (Puppet, Cobbler, etc.).
- Network access tools & protocols (GridFTP, Globus Online, Ssh, NX, VNC, etc.).
- Willingness to perform physically demanding work occasionally.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently in a collaborative environment with time-sensitive deadlines.
- Occasional travel (foreign and domestic) is required.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits.
All employees are expected to work safely. Each employee has environment, safety, and health, responsibilities. The employee is required to participate in achieving compliance in our ES&H policies including, but not limited to, emergency preparedness and response, efficiently servicing and maintaining a variety of process systems equipment and overall plant infrastructure. Occasional travel may be required to attend training classes, special meetings, conferences, or events.
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor