Senior Technology Analyst (Web ServicesJob ID 1904 Date posted 10/03/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is the scientific extreme scale Data Laboratory in the US. With over 125 PB of archived data, the Scientific Data & Computing Center (SDCC) at BNL hosts the largest scientific data archive in the US and the 3rd largest worldwide. This data comes largely from the many scientific user facilities that we support at BNL such as: the unique nuclear physics experiment RHIC, the brightest synchrotron in the world NSLS II, the largest Tier 1 center for the LHC Atlas experiment, the Japanese particle physics experiment Belle II, the Center for Functional Nano Materials and the Atmospheric Radiation Measurement program. The data science program is accompanied by significant computational modeling research effort, in support of the design, planning, analysis and interpretation of experiments and their results. The Computational Science Initiative (CSI - https://www.bnl.gov/compsci/[www.bnl.gov]) provides the laboratory wide umbrella for these activities, bringing together computer scientists, applied mathematicians and domain scientists to carry out leading edge research, convert research results into practical solutions that advance domain science and provide the necessary computing infrastructure services and training to support efficient operation.
BNL’s Scientific Data & Computing Center (SDCC) seeks a Senior Technology Analyst to contribute to computing support within the NPP Directorate in the areas of web administration & development and basic IT services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with modernizing, expanding and maintaining SDCC-managed web sites, updating current web platforms, contribute to the effort of integrating Single Sign-On (SSO) features to web services and instrumenting web services to collaborating tools such as Invenio, BNLBox and Jupyter.
- Participate in instrumenting monitoring tools at SDCC to provide real-time metrics on facility uptime and access statistics, network and storage performance and computing throughput.
- Support the evaluation, adoption and operation of new technologies in support of SDCC activities.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in physics, computer science or related discipline or equivalency (2 years’ experience for every one (1) year of education).
- Minimum of three (3) years relevant work experience.
- Expertise, advanced experience with modern techniques in web development.
- Experience with RDBMS/SQL, Rest API, JSON and XML.
- Working knowledge of Linux Operating systems.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of open-source CMS (Plone, Drupal, etc) and Apache httpd web servers.
- Familiarity with Zenodo and Python Flask.
- MySQL and/or PostgreSQL and Redhat.
- Familiarity with basic data center infrastructure services such as:
- DNS, NTP, OpenLDAP, Kerberos and Active Directory.
- Email SMTP/IMAP/Webmail servers.
- Configuration management and version control software.
- Authorization and Authentication Infrastructure (AAI).
- Willingness to perform physically demanding work occasionally.
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously in a collaborative environment with time-sensitive deadlines.
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Occasionally relocating computing and/or storage hardware (up to 30 lbs) with the assistance of non-powered tools such as dollies, carts and hand trucks.
- The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills, as well as the amount of relevant experience.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits.
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/file