Senior Stationary EngineerJob ID 1381 Date posted 07/11/2018
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The Facilities & Operations (F&O) Directorate's mission isto support the science and technology and environmental restoration missions of the laboratory by providing a safe, environmentally sound, and reliable infrastructure; to provide high quality crafts and fabrication services to our customers as needed and to protect people, property, and national security.
The Energy & Utilities (EU) Division operates and maintains BNL’s:
- Electric Distribution System;
- Central Steam Facility;
- Central Chilled Water Facility;
- Potable Water Treatment Facility;
- Wastewater Treatment Facility ;
- Site Fire Alarm Systems;
- Site Energy Management Control System (EMCS);
- Energy procurement;
- and Energy Metering Systems
These operation and maintenance activities are performed in a manner to ensure they are always safe, reliable, efficient, green and mission-ready. The EU Division oversees BNL’s energy management programs including sustainability, conservation and obtaining economical electric power and fuel supplies for BNL.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Under minimum supervision operates, maintains, and repairs any heat generation equipment, facilities, and auxiliary and related equipment within the BNL Central Steam Facility. May be required to assign, direct, or check the work of other personnel in connection with assigned responsibilities.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Requires a BS in marine engineering or similar technical degree; or completion of US Navy, multi-year union, or similar technically accredited program leading to a recognized certificate or license for the operation and maintenance of high-pressure steam plants and plant control systems. Requires one year or equivalent of operation and maintenance experience on high-pressure steam plants.
- In lieu of the above, requires 10-years prior experience as a licensed operator in the operation and maintenance of high-pressure steam plants and plant controls, with at least 5-years as an unsupervised watch stander. US Coast Guard License as 3rd assistant engineer steam vessel or higher; NYS or NYC license to operate high-pressure steam boilers is highly desirable.
- Ability to learn and maintain a thorough understanding of the operation and control of the boilers including computer control systems, instrumentation, safety systems, water testing, functioning of the water softener, feed water pumps, condensate pumps, deaerators, fuel oil transfer pumps, air compressors, and steam pumps.
- Strong decision making skills and the ability to respond to a complex set of circumstances.
- Mechanical aptitude and ability to effectively assist in maintenance and repairs including skill in the use of tools and equipment relating to the mechanical and electrical trades.
- Must be able to read, write, and verbally communicate in English.
- The ability to work 8-hour rotating shifts and extended hours if necessary.
- Must have a valid NYS Driver’s license
- Operating the equipment in a safe and conscientious manner following safety rules, procedures, and actively participating in safety programs, such as confined space, lock-out/tag-out, etc.
- Maintain records and log books, of rounds and inspections performed.
- Operate, monitor and secure boilers and balance of plant equipment. Recognize abnormal conditions and take corrective action.
- Perform routine and demand maintenance and repairs as necessary in order to keep the plant operating at optimal efficiency.
- Perform daily chemical test analysis of all operating systems such as boilers, water softener, feedwater, and condensate systems.
- Perform daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual planned maintenance on boilers and auxiliary equipment as assigned.
- Assist in maintaining a high level of housekeeping, inventory, and maintenance of tools.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of NFPA 85 – Boiler and Combustion Systems Hazards Code.
- Knowledge of boiler system corrosion control methods
- Experience with fuel oil handling and spill control methods
Environmental, Safety, and Health, Considerations:
- Standing, bending, and lifting, up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to work in confined spaces
- Ability to climb fixed and portable ladders and work at heights up to 50 feet.
- Use of a respirator and other related safety equipment
- Work outdoors/cold environments
- Work in warm environments
- Some rigging & hoisting
- Use of powered and air operated hand tools
- Operates forklifts, mobile cranes or other heavy equipment
- Work with machinery including benchtop grinders and similar
- Ability to act as a primary authorized employee for Lock-out/Tag-out.
- Ability to wear proper PPE such as safety glasses, safety shoes, and hearing protection.
All employees are expected to work safely. Each employee has environment, safety, and health, responsibilities. The employee is required to participate in achieving compliance in our ES&H policies including, but not limited to, emergency preparedness and response, efficiently servicing and maintaining a variety of process systems equipment and overall plant infrastructure.
The Lab’s placement policy is to select the best qualified candidate for an available position. With respect to Bargaining Unit positions, candidates are considered in the following order: (1) present benefits-eligible employees within the department/division and/or appropriate bargaining unit, with preference for those within the immediate work group; (2) present benefits-eligible employees within the Laboratory; and (3) outside applicants.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor