Senior Project Controls AnalystJob ID 3168 Date posted 05/06/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The mission of the Project Management Center is to provide the Laboratory with a Project Management process and system that will lead to achieving outstanding project management capability and cultivate an ongoing process of sizing Project Management methodology implementing a graded approach that effectively aligns resources and methodology to achieve our management goals of successfully completing projects on time and within budget.
Candidate will report to the PMC Manager or to a Project Controls Manager and will implement cost and schedule project planning and control functions for large scientific construction projects and smaller Research and Development projects. The Project Management Center is responsible for providing Project Management expertise to the Principal Investigator or Project Director/Manager including expertise in initial planning, cost estimating, scheduling, risk assessment, EVMS reporting, change control and project management training and documentation. The project management/controls experience should be in the earliest stages of project planning through execution including change control and project closeout. Selected candidate will draw upon a sophisticated understanding of project management methodology, project control principles, and hands-on experience with Primavera to successfully lead work, resources, and dollars using project controls tools.
The work will be based at BNL, or domestically in the US subject to an approved remote work agreement.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implement all aspects of an earned value management system, which consists of developing a fully integrated resource loaded schedule
- Assist technical management in developing resource requirements to support the development of the project cost estimate
- Analysis of the project schedule using critical path methodology and project metrics
- Implement changes to the schedule and/or baseline
- Develop performance measurement monthly reports for the management team and stakeholders including DOE.
- Interact with project technical staff to define scope of work, project risks, baseline changes variance analysis, and implementation of corrective actions
- Present project data at meetings and external project reviews
- Support the development and deployment of new techniques and tools
- Develop templates, serving as a scheduling tool specialist, and counsel program managers/control account managers on the maintenance of their schedules
- Support proposal preparation, procedure development and Project Management Training
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a related discipline. Equivalency is based on a 2:1 (experience:college) years’ experience.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of professional cost/scheduling experience
- Solid knowledge of cost estimating, budgeting and control
- Solid understanding of Earned Value Management System processes and requirements
- Must be proficient in Primavera P6 software
- High proficiency in scheduling theory, techniques and methodologies
- Proficiency in project management principles
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Microsoft Project experience.
- Solid analytical and reasoning skills and proven ability to develop solutions to complex problems
- Well-developed interpersonal skills with ability to work collaboratively in a team-oriented environment.
- Ability to prioritize and effectively handle one’s own time to deliver results
- Well-developed verbal communication skills with presentation experience
- Must be a self-starter, a team player, willing to take initiative and able to perform independently.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Master’s degree
- Professional Certifications such as PMP, RMP, SP, EVP etc.
- Experience in a DOE project environment
- Experience with Cobra or similar EVMS software
- Experience with PowerBI
- Experience with designing new project management tools
Additional information:BNL will not sponsor a visa for this position
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now