Senior Network EngineerJob ID 2766 Date posted 08/05/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Business Services provides high-quality business services to support the Lab's research initiatives by participating in cross-functional teams with a focus on risk mitigation and cost management, which is a critical component to the Lab's success. Led by the Chief Financial Officer, Brookhaven’s Business Services Directorate includes the Budget Office, Fiscal Services Division, Information Technology Division (ITD), and Procurement & Property Management Division. The Directorate manages a broad range of financial activities, including the planning and implementation of the Lab’s fiscal matters and its approximately $750 million annual budget.
ITD's Network Service’s purview is to provide data and voice communications that are highly available and robust in order to facilitate and support operations and research at BNL. We provide the network foundation underlying the critical services within the enterprise and scientific computing including collaboration services (Voice/VTC), security, High Throughput Computing (HTC), data acquisition systems, safety and monitoring. Network Services’ works closely with all BNLs users and IT organizations to provide a holistic network approach from requirements gathering, design, procurement, installation, deployment, monitoring, maintenance and optimization.
The BNL campus is over 5,000 acres and contains over 300 buildings and two large data centers. Over 100 of these buildings are connected to the BNL Campus network through various types of L1 technologies such as, DSL, wireless point to point bridges or through our large campus fiber optic cabling infrastructure. The BNL campus network is comprised of over 800+ routers and switches, 600+ wireless access points and numerous pairs of firewalls and load balancers from various vendors.
BNLs current data center is roughly 15,000 sq. ft. with over 3MW of capacity. Network Services’ is responsible for architecting and operating this facilities Terabit Per Second network infrastructure which connects over 64,000 CPU cores, multiple High-Performance Computing clusters, 55 Petabytes of disk storage and 150 Petabytes of tape storage. We are also responsible for the entire fiber optical and copper cabling infrastructure. BNL is also currently in the process of building a new 60,000 sq. ft. data center to accommodate its growing operations.
BNLs Network Perimeter and Science DMZ help to support open high-speed Internet/WAN connectivity for all collaborations throughout the BNL campus. It is responsible for transferring over 120 Petabytes of data yearly, roughly 10 Petabytes per month. BNLs Network Perimeter consists of redundant hardware with multiple diverse 100GbE WAN circuits containing various IPv4/IPv6 L2/L3VPNs which connect BNL to numerous collaborations worldwide.
Part of ensuring our groups success is our commitment to elevating employees’ skill sets by mentoring engineers and working as a cohesive unit, promoting work-life balance, and providing challenging and extremely unique projects.
The Information Technology Division has an opening for a Senior Network Engineer. This position requires the expertise level in various disciplines within IT Networking. The candidate will provide support in all aspects of Network infrastructure consisting of LAN/WAN, HW & SW, routers, switches, firewalls, management systems, and monitoring systems. This individual will provide diagnoses, resolution, and documentation in all aspects of supporting, implementing and managing an enterprise network environment. Resolve hardware and software network problems in a timely and accurate manner. Monitor the LAN/WAN devices including traffic and utilization trends. Document and audit cabling configurations. Design, specify, and document the LAN/WAN infrastructure in consultation with the IS Organization and according to user needs. Survey performance needs and goals of LAN users. Make recommendations to enhance operations and availability.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the overall direction, architecture and design of future laboratory projects which could involve network security, wireless, load balancing, virtualization (overlay technologies) or small and large routing and switching designs.
- Work closely with BNL users and IT organizations to gather requirements and produce network solutions that are scalable, fault tolerant and well documented.
- Interface with vendors to identify and evaluate new technologies and products (hardware or software) and determine whether they align with the business needs of the laboratory.
- Act as a Tier-3/escalation engineer to analyze and troubleshoot complex network issues and help to coordinate tactical and strategic solutions to these issues.
- Participate in rotating on-call after-hours/weekend support with other network engineers.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent full-time directly related experience (2 years work:1 year college) OR a CCNP certification (or equivalent certification).
- Minimum of eight (8) years’ experience in the installation, operation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of multi-vendor, multi-protocol networks.
- Expertise on network equipment such Arista, Juniper, and Cisco.
- Expertise in LAN/WAN technologies and protocols, such as QoS, Spanning-Tree, BGP, and OSPF.
- Expertise in TCP/IP and the OSI Model.
- Experience with Firewall, VPN and Remote Access Technologies.
- Experience with Wireless Technologies such as Aruba.
- Familiarity with network management tools such as Spectrum and Cacti.
- Expertise level knowledge designing and implementation of large complex networks.
- Manage projects with minimal supervision from start to finish.
- Must be willing to be "on-call" for after-hours support as needed.
- Ability to obtain and retain DOE "L" or DOE "Q" clearance.
- Must be willing to work extended hours and critical Holidays.
- Understand, adhere to, and promote the environmental, health & safety policies of the Lab.
- Valid state driver’s license.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- VoIP experience;
- IPv6 experience;
- Familiarity with programming languages such as Ansible, Python, PHP, or MySQL;
- Network Certifications such as CCNP, JNCIP-ENT or equivalent.
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Essential functions from Job Assessment Form (JAF) such as:
- lifting of 30 pounds.
- climb a 6’ ladder.
- Drivers’ license, use of private car.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans;
- Flexible Spending Accounts;
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave);
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan;
- 401(k) Plan;
- Flexible Work Arrangements;
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs;
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis).
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
Brookhaven Science Associates requires proof of a COVID-19 vaccination for all employees.Proof of full vaccination as recognized by the CDC and/or WHO, inclusive of the two-week waiting period, is required either by November 17, 2021 or at the start of your employment if after November 17, 2021.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now