Senior Mechanical Engineer, Vacuum SystemsJob ID 3367 Date posted 08/30/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
Brookhaven National Laboratory was recently chosen as the building site for the Electron-Ion Collider (EIC), a one-of-a-kind nuclear physics research facility. The EIC will be a discovery machine for unlocking the secrets of the “glue” that binds the building blocks of visible matter in the universe. The machine design is based on the existing and highly optimized RHIC Ion-Ion collider. It will consist of two intersecting accelerators, one producing an intense beam of electrons, the other a beam of protons or heavier atomic nuclei which are steered into collisions. Beyond sparking scientific discoveries in a new frontier of fundamental physics, the Electron-Ion Collider will trigger technological breakthroughs that have broad-ranging impact on human health and national challenges.
The EIC Vacuum Group has an opening for a senior level Mechanical Engineer to help design and develop the multiple large vacuum systems required for the Electron-Ion Collider being built at BNL. The EIC project has complex and unique challenges which will require creative solutions and close collaboration with the other technical engineering groups. The chosen candidate for this position will fill a key role in developing the solutions critical to the success of the project. After the design and development phase, this position will evolve into supporting the implementation of the solutions during the construction and installation stages of the project.
Join BNL at the beginning of this ground-breaking scientific and engineering project and become part of the team building this scientific discovery machine (bnl.gov/eic).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop engineering solutions to support vacuum R&D efforts as well as project needs
- Develop components and systems from initial concept through engineering analysis, detailed 3D modeling and design, design and safety reviews, preparation of specifications and fabrication drawings, procurement and fabrication, assembly, testing, installation, and commissioning
- Manage engineering projects, and develop project plans including schedules with needed resources and budgets
- May oversee and coordinate a variety of technical staff for design, fabrication, assembly, testing, and installation of equipment
- Prepare for and present material as required for design reviews
- Work closely with scientific staff as well as other engineering groups to develop solutions to complex problems and integration issues
- Prepare job orders, requisitions, and cost estimates
- Maintain a safe and respectful workplace environment
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree in mechanical engineering or related field
- At least 7-10 years of progressively responsible related work experience
- Experience with creative engineering projects, working hands-on with mechanical equipment, and collaborating with a team to develop and build unique equipment
- Experience with 3D CAD molding software (Creo preferred)
- Knowledge of material properties, manufacturing/machine shop processes, welding, hardware & component choice, manufacturing, installation, and dimensioning and tolerances
- Proficient computer skills including the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Excellent organizational, written, verbal and presentation skills
- Detail oriented and capable of following strict policies and procedures to ensure hardware and personal protection
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Master’s degree in Engineering or Physics
- Practical experience developing and building sub-systems for particle accelerators
- Experience designing UHV systems
- Experience with ANSYS (or equivalent thermal and stress engineering analysis software) and generating engineering analysis reports
- Demonstrated ability to positively interact and support contractors, vendors, project management and procurement professionals
- Basic knowledge of instrumentation and control systems.
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Must be comfortable working in industrial, construction and radiation environments
- Will require occasional climbing ladders, moderate lifting, working in the vicinity of operating machinery, exposure to noise, and the willingness to wear proper PPE
- Will be required to become a qualified Radiation Worker
- May be required to occasionally work off-hours, nights and/or weekends to support mission critical projects
- Occasional domestic and/or international travel
- Selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level based on the depth and breadth of relevant engineering knowledge, skills, and experience.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory, we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-Funded Retirement Plan (remove if post-doc position)
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Tennis, Softball, Table Tennis)
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now
Brookhaven strives to assist employees to better manage their complex personal and professional lives. We celebrate our inclusive culture, progressive policies, programs, and active community involvement.Learn More
The prestigious Gertrude and Maurice Goldhaber Distinguished Fellowships are awarded to scientists with exceptional talent and credentials.Learn More
Awards and Discoveries
Collaborate with world-class experts at the frontiers of science. Research at Brookhaven has led to seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, and many Lab scientists have been honored with prestigious awards.Learn More
The Brookhaven Experience
Brookhaven Lab and its world-class research facilities are at the forefront of scientific discovery, and 60 miles east of midtown Manhattan. Employment at Brookhaven Lab comes with many benefits.Learn More
Everywhere Is Within Reach
Brookhaven Lab is located just miles from Long Island’s beautiful beaches, vineyards, restaurants, shopping, schools, and more. Plus, New York City and three major airports are within 60 miles of our gate.Learn More
We know that benefits are an important part of your employment. Our benefits programs address both the immediate needs of your family, such as insurance coverage, and long term needs like retirement savings.Learn More
Long Island, Where you BeLONG.
Long Island is a special place to be. A place where those who call it home share a sincere pride in its uniqueness. Wherever your intrique may take you, you can find where you BeLong on Long Island.