Senior Electronics TechnicianJob ID 1504 Date posted 11/05/2018
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to develop, improve and operate the suite of particle / heavy ion accelerators used to carry out the program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL); to support the experimental program including design, construction and operation of the beam transports to the experiments, plus support of detector and research needs of the experiments; to design and construct new accelerator facilities in support of the BNL and national missions. The C-A Department supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The department performs all these functions in an environmentally-responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
The Vacuum group in the Collider Accelerator Department has an opening for a Senior Electronics Technician, responsible for installation, operation, maintenance, repair, and upgrading of 404 vacuum sections with a total length of 17,243 m and a total volume of 2,167 m3 throughout the CAD complex. Almost 4,000 vacuum devices which include pumps, gauges, valves and associated controls are installed in the CAD complex to support the present operations for RHIC, NSRL, BLIP and R&D projects such as CEC, leReC and eLENS.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Fabricate, assemble, install, commission, troubleshoot and repair vacuum system electronics and controls related to the accelerator.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Associate’s degree in Electronics or related technical field OR relevant technical certification (Technical Institute).
- Six (6) years of relevant work experience in the assembly, maintenance, repair and operation of electronic and electrical equipment.
- High degree of proficiency in the use of hand tools and electronic test instruments.
- Ability to work from drawings, schematics and verbal instructions.
- Must be self-motivated, able to work with minimum supervision, and possess good communication skills.
- Experience in the use of electronic test equipment such as oscilloscopes and multi-meters to troubleshoot and repair electronic circuits and electrical equipment
- Basic experience with computers and software such as Excel and Word
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with wire and cable termination, cable routing, and rack mount equipment installation
- Experience with particle accelerator systems and/or vacuum systems is preferred
- Experience with PLC programming
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements
- Ability to lift 30 lbs
- Ability to climb ladders (up to 5 feet)
The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate technical level dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge and skills.
“For this position, BNL will not sponsor a work visa”
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor