Senior Electronic TechnicianJob ID 3085 Date posted 06/12/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The mission of the Collider-Accelerator Department (C-AD) is to operate, maintain, improve, and upgrade the suite of electron, proton, and heavy ion accelerators used to carry out a program of accelerator-based experiments at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL). To support this program, the C-AD must design, fabricate, assemble, test, install, and operate unique research equipment to generate, transport, transfer, accelerate, focus, track, collide, and absorb high intensity particle beams up to energies of 250 GeV. This includes a combination of custom designed and built parts and vendor produced components developed by a collaboration of the C-AD scientific, engineering, and technical staff. The C-AD supports an international user community of over 1,500 scientists. The C-AD performs all these functions in an environmentally responsible and safe manner, under a rigorous conduct of operations approach.
The Collider Electrical Power Supply group has an opening for a Sr. Technical Specialist to construct, install and maintain power supply systems and associated complex support equipment. The Collider Electrical Power supply group maintains the magnet power supply systems and associated equipment for the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider. This position has a high level of interaction with an international and multicultural scientific community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assembly, maintenance, repair and operation of power supplies and various complex electrical systems
- Mechanical prep and wiring skills for electronic chassis and printed circuit boards
- Must be available for emergency call ins 24/7
- Requires the equivalence of a technical institute or associate’s degree in a related scientific or technical field
- At least six (6) years of full time relevant work experience in the assembly, maintenance, repair and operation of electronic and electrical equipment
- Experience with maintenance and repair of high-power power supplies
- Must be familiar with printed circuit board assembly including surface mount technology
- Must have excellent soldering skills
- Must be able to operate vans and pickup vehicles
- Must be skilled at troubleshooting analog and digital circuits
- Basic experience with computers and software such as Excel and Word
- High degree proficiency in the use of hand tools and electronic test instruments
- The ability to work from drawings, schematics and verbal instructions
- Experience in the use of electronic test equipment such as oscilloscopes and multi-meters to troubleshoot and repair electronic circuits and various complex electrical systems
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Must be able to lift up to 30 lbs
- Must be able to work from ladders at 6 feet
- Valid Drivers License and the ability to drive a lab vehicle.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now