Senior Electrical Engineer Accelerator DivisionJob ID 2791 Date posted 09/02/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Brookhaven National Laboratory is entering an exciting new chapter with one of the newest and most advanced synchrotron facilities in the world. National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) enables the study of material properties and functions with nanoscale resolution and exquisite sensitivity by providing world-leading capabilities for X-ray imaging and high-resolution energy analysis.
This facility is open to users from academia and industry and its operations are at a time when the world enters a new era with a global economy fueled largely by scientific discoveries and technological innovations. NSLS-II provides the research tools needed to foster new discoveries and create breakthroughs in critical areas such as energy security, environment, and human health.
We are currently seeking a senior electrical engineer with project management and/or supervisory experience for the Group Leader position for the Electrical Engineering (EE) Group for National Synchrotron Light Source-II (NSLS-II). The Group Leader will oversee electrical engineers, designers, and technicians in support of the facility operations, upgrades, and new projects. The NSLS-II EE group includes the power supply group, AC power distribution, safety systems and the electrical design room. Candidate will work closely with the managers of various groups of the Accelerator Division, Photon Division, ESH and F&O. Position will report to the NSLS-II Accelerator Division Director.
Responsibilities will include supervising the group that will handle the electrical engineering and safety systems support for NSLS-II, including:
- maintaining and developing new electrical systems at NSLS-II;
- supporting operations, troubleshooting and repairs of electrical systems;
- electrical safety, electrical inspection and LOTO program;
- managing the electrical maintenance program
- completing detailed cost and schedule estimates for the labor and material resources required for the EE projects;
- carrying out R&D, design, fabrication, installation and commissioning of the new EE projects;
- maintaining a current detailed schedule;
- planning, tracking and executing procurements;
- monitoring and reporting on corrective action items.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent plus 15 years of relevant technical and management experience.
- Expertise in at least 3 of the following areas:
- Experience in design and testing of complex analog and digital control systems
- Knowledge or experience in using electronic circuit analysis software for both analog and digital circuits
- Knowledge or experience in the selection of the hardware required for mixed signal circuit boards for controls applications.
- Experience in managing installation of AC power distribution systems for large industrial facilities.
- Pulse forming networks and high voltage power supplies.
- Experience with cross disciplinary design work.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build collegial relationships and collaborate.
- Strong decision making, problem solving and strategic thinking skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Prior project management experience or formal project management training.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent.
- Experience in the development or operation of accelerator electrical systems.
- Knowledge in reliability and maintenance of electrical distribution equipment.
- Knowledge or experience in the design, troubleshooting of PLC-based controls and interlocks for machine protection applications.
- Experience using the codes NFPA 70, NFPA 70E, NFPA 70B and OSHA requirements for industrial facilities.
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Must be comfortable working in industrial, construction and radiation environments
- Will require occasional climbing ladders, moderate lifting, working in the vicinity of operating machinery, exposure to noise, and the willingness to wear proper PPE
- Will be required to become a qualified Radiation Worker
- May be required to occasionally work off-hours, nights and/or weekends to support mission critical projects
- Occasional domestic and/or international travel
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
Brookhaven Science Associates requires proof of a COVID-19 vaccination for all employees.Proof of full vaccination as recognized by the CDC and/or WHO, inclusive of the two-week waiting period, is required either by November 17, 2021 or at the start of your employment if after November 17, 2021.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now