Senior Contracts SpecialistJob ID 3623 Date posted 02/24/2023
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The Business Services Directorate (BSD) provides high-quality business services to support the Lab's research initiatives by participating in cross-functional teams with a focus on risk mitigation and cost management, which is a critical component to the Lab's success. Led by the Chief Financial Officer, Brookhaven’s Business Services Directorate includes the Budget Office, Fiscal Services Division, Procurement & Property Management Division, Chief Financial Office, and the Business Operations Offices. The Directorate manages a broad range of financial activities, including the planning and implementation of the Lab’s fiscal matters and its approximately $700 million annual budget.
The mission of the Procurement and Property Management Division is to provide support for purchasing services, materials, equipment and supplies for Brookhaven National Laboratory operations and programs. Procurement and Property Management Division does the following:
- Provides internal customers with quality products and services in a timely manner at the lowest cost of ownership, i.e., “best value” using best commercial practices.
- Supports the Laboratory’s socioeconomic programs by using reliable small, small disadvantaged, women-owned, service-disabled veteran owned and HUB (historically underutilized business) Zone businesses.
- Ensures that acquisitions are conducted in compliance with BSA’s Prime Contract, applicable statutes, and regulations and in accordance with the highest ethics and standards.
The Procurement and Property Management (PPM) Division has an opening for a Sr. Contracts Specialist, dedicated to the EIC project. The incumbent is a highly seasoned and senior professional with a developed expertise for planning and coordinating complex subcontracts for services and specialized scientific equipment and systems for a department, project, or program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work under limited supervision, within established procedures and guidelines. May be designated to lead or oversee a group of buyers, with delegated responsibility of reviewing and approving procurements, assistance with problem solving, change management processes, tracking and distribution of work.
- Tracks, organizes, and analyzes procurement information with an in-depth understanding and analytical interpretations.
- Develop and implement internal procedures with the ability to lead teams and frequently exercises work discretion.
- Prepare and present reports on procurement activities, including source and price justification, as applicable.
- Determine how to resolve complex problems in the procurement and resolve underlying issues without management guidance by using precedents and broad policies.
- Document procurement files and perform the contracts administration, as applicable.
- Support and adhere to requirements of procurement's small business and socio-economic plan.
- Process primarily high dollar and higher risk procurements with technical requirements having a personnel and oversight signature authority of $500,000.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- BA or BS degree in a business field, plus ten (10) years direct procurement experience, preferably in federal government procurement.
- Experience with the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) and/or Department of Energy Acquisition Regulation (DEAR), preferred.
- Ability to anticipate and establish paths to avoid problems and manage administrative processes on behalf of management.
- Possess an advanced understanding of the procurement business discipline, regular business contact within and outside the Laboratory, to obtain and provide detailed and complex information, tracks, organizes, and analyzes procurement information.
- Knowledge of information processing software, such as Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Establishes positive working relationships at all levels, both internal and external. Interfaces with Program or Department end user groups, as well as Legal department. Sets a positive example for productive teamwork.
- Helps expand working relationships and demonstrates the ability to effectively influence relationships.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Master’s degree.
- Certified Procurement Professional (CPP) or similar certification in government procurement practices.
The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level dependent upon depth and breadth of relevant knowledge, education, and skills.
This position is eligible for telework commuting. Remote work options available.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans;
- Flexible Spending Accounts;
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave);
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan;
- 401(k) Plan;
- Flexible Work Arrangements;
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs;
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Table Tennis, Softball, Tennis).
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now
Brookhaven strives to assist employees to better manage their complex personal and professional lives. We celebrate our inclusive culture, progressive policies, programs, and active community involvement.Learn More
The prestigious Gertrude and Maurice Goldhaber Distinguished Fellowships are awarded to scientists with exceptional talent and credentials.Learn More
Awards and Discoveries
Collaborate with world-class experts at the frontiers of science. Research at Brookhaven has led to seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, and many Lab scientists have been honored with prestigious awards.Learn More
The Brookhaven Experience
Brookhaven Lab and its world-class research facilities are at the forefront of scientific discovery, and 60 miles east of midtown Manhattan. Employment at Brookhaven Lab comes with many benefits.Learn More
Everywhere Is Within Reach
Brookhaven Lab is located just miles from Long Island’s beautiful beaches, vineyards, restaurants, shopping, schools, and more. Plus, New York City and three major airports are within 60 miles of our gate.Learn More
We know that benefits are an important part of your employment. Our benefits programs address both the immediate needs of your family, such as insurance coverage, and long term needs like retirement savings.Learn More
Long Island, Where you BeLONG.
Long Island is a special place to be. A place where those who call it home share a sincere pride in its uniqueness. Wherever your intrique may take you, you can find where you BeLong on Long Island.