Senior Contracts SpecialistJob ID 1849 Date posted 08/15/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. Located on the center of Long Island, New York, Brookhaven Lab brings world-class facilities and expertise to the most exciting and important questions in basic and applied science—from the birth of our universe to the sustainable energy technology of tomorrow. We operate cutting-edge large-scale facilities for studies in physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, applied science, and a wide range of advanced technologies. The Laboratory's almost 3,000 scientists, engineers, and support staff are joined each year by more than 4,000 visiting researchers from around the world. Our award-winning history, including seven Nobel Prizes, stretches back to 1947, and we continue to unravel mysteries from the nanoscale to the cosmic scale, and everything in between. Brookhaven is operated and managed by Brookhaven Science Associates, which was founded by the Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University, and Battelle, a nonprofit applied science and technology organization.
The Procurement and Property Management Division has an opening for a Contracts Specialist (A-7) with experience in construction and/or high dollar complex procurements. Pursuant to the provisions outlined in the BSA’s prime contract as well as internal Procurement Operations Manual and Standard Work Instructions and under minimal supervision, the incumbent will be responsible for the procurement of a variety of construction services and/or complex equipment, through various contract types in a high-volume environment. The incumbent will also be responsible for contract administration functions including monitoring of progress and milestones, receipt of deliverables and invoice approval in coordination with the contract administrative representative and the contractors. Responsibilities shall also include identification and tracking of customer supplied or purchased property and maintenance throughout the life of the procurement/requirement.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conferring with end-users on the products or services needed and related issues;
- Setting up Request for Proposals and Requests for Quotations in compliance with existing standard operating procedures, Federal and Departmental (DOE) regulations;
- Review and assist in the preparation of Statements of Work and Specification documents;
- Negotiating the terms and conditions of the purchase; Negotiating final prices with suppliers; Securing approval of the final purchase as required; Approving purchases within established signature authority;
- Ensuring that all purchases are compliant with existing laws, such as the Service Contract Act, Construction Wage rate, and the Buy American Act;
- Award of contracts/purchase orders (POs).
- Administration of contracts/POs to include:
- Modification of contracts/POs;
- Statusing and expediting contracts/POs;
- Reviewing and approving invoices;
- Close out contracts/POs.
- Performs other management assigned duties.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A bachelor’s degree in a business or engineering discipline or equivalent experience based on 2:1 (experience:college) years
- A minimum of seven (7) years, full-time, contemporary, directly related experience;
- The successful candidate must possess a demonstrated ability to deal with project deadlines and high dollar complex equipment and/or construction procurements;
- Thorough knowledge of the Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR);
- Familiarity with the Service Contract Act, Construction Wage rate (Davis Bacon Act), EEO Compliance, and Justifications for Non-Competitive Procurements, Buy American Act, Small Business Subcontracting Business Plans, Certificates of Cost and Pricing Data as well as standard and specialized terms and condition.
Candidate must be well versed and have an in-depth understanding of all principles of the procurement process in a government environment from inception of a requirement to contract close out, including but not limited to:
- analysis of requirements and selection of the appropriate procurement method;
- creation of the solicitation (RFQ/RFP);
- evaluating prospective Offeror quotes, bids;
- proposal evaluations and recommendations;
- cost and price justification/analysis, negotiations, drafting of contracts, and modifications along with written documented recommendation for award;
- Candidate must be self-motivated, resourceful and organized, taking ownership of all assigned work;
- Must be able to work within a scientific facility under stringent timelines to meet the laboratory’s needs;
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to interact effectively and respectfully with a diverse and international population of internal and external customers.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of PeopleSoft;
- Master’s degree in business;
- Certified Procurement Professional (CPP) or similar certification in government procurement practices;
- Experience teaming with legal counsel, project managers, engineers, cost estimators and quality assurance personnel in a scientific or high-tech environment;
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- Ability to communicate effectively;
- Ability to operate a computer effectively.
- Will require occasional travel in support of Procurement activities and small business activities.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans;
- Dental Plans;
- Life Insurance;
- 401(k) Plan;
- Retirement Plan;
- Paid Parental Leave;
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits.
We invite you to consider Brookhaven National Laboratory for employment. To be considered for this position, please apply online at BNL Careers and enter the job title into the Keyword Search.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/file