Senior Budget AnalystJob ID 3272 Date posted 06/28/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University. BSA salutes our veterans and active military members with careers that leverage the skills and unique experience they gained while serving our country. Our organization fully supports service members transitioning from active duty to civilian life and pledge’s our commitment to actively hire veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Military personnel who have been formally trained or have relevant experience obtained while in service may meet educational requirements and are encouraged to apply for job opportunities at BSA.
The Business Services Directorate (BSD) provides high-quality business services to support the Lab's research initiatives by participating in cross-functional teams with a focus on risk mitigation and cost management, which is a critical component to the Lab's success. Led by the Chief Financial Officer, Brookhaven’s Business Services Directorate includes the Budget Office, Fiscal Services Division, Procurement & Property Management Division, Chief Financial Office, and the Business Operations Offices. The Directorate manages a broad range of financial activities, including the planning and implementation of the Lab’s fiscal matters and its approximately $700 million annual budget.
Brookhaven National Laboratory was recently chosen as the building site for the Electron-Ion Collider (EIC), a one-of-a-kind nuclear physics research facility. The EIC will be a discovery machine for unlocking the secrets of the “glue” that binds the building blocks of visible matter in the universe. The machine design is based on the existing and highly optimized RHIC Ion Collider. Beyond sparking scientific discovery in a new frontier of fundamental physics, the Electron-Ion Collider will trigger technological breakthroughs that have broad-ranging impacts on human health and national challenges.
The Business Services Directorate (BSD) has an opening for a Senior Business Analyst position within the Electron Ion Collider (EIC) Business Office. This individual will report to the Business Operations Manager that currently oversees the EIC Directorate.
Candidate will perform or support a wide variety of financial functions for the Electron Ion Collider Business Operations Office, including, but not limited to: financial analysis, budget planning, labor forecasting, rate development, development of current year cost plans, expenditure forecasting and preparation of financial summaries for management, periodic program reviews, and Laboratory planning exercises.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for developing and maintaining financial reports for the Directorate with strict deadlines.
- Responsible for developing multi-year financial plans by working with department group leaders.
- Responsible for internal/external financial oversight including specialized reports.
- Tracking overall business performance by analyzing financial data and ensuring data complies with BNL policies and procedures.
- Team with department leaders, business services staff and administrative staff in order to secure information needed for analysis and generation of reports.
- Serve as a departmental Business Point of Contact for all financial matters.
- Supervise staff as well as provide coaching and mentoring to other business staff members.
- Maintain, develop and apply capabilities to execute organization’s plans.
- Adherence to all BNL business rules, allowable cost monitoring and compliance.
- Operating in a team environment and remaining flexible with assignments.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance/business or directly related field, or equivalent experience based on 2:1 (experience:college) years.
- Minimum of ten (10) years full-time, contemporary experience in a substantive role in the accounting/financial field that demonstrates a detailed knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), variance analysis and project reporting, including knowledge of budget planning, procurement process, A/P, A/R, travel, etc.
- Advanced communication (oral and written), interpersonal, relationship management, and presentation skills.
- In depth knowledge of financial principles including budget, forecasting, reporting and analysis.
- Knowledgeable of GAAP/CAS/FAR requirements as related to areas of responsibility.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, including intermediate skills with Excel and databases.
- Applies independent judgment that demonstrates ability to prioritize and effectively deal with deadlines.
- Ability to identify and resolve issues encountered within own area of responsibility; act proactively to develop solutions and provide recommendation(s) to avoid problems.
- Ability to establish routine contacts and to provide detailed and complex information that will be used to make decisions of business consequence.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) Systems, including the extraction and reporting of data.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Power Business Intelligence.
- Familiarity with PeopleSoft and the ability to generate queries and reports.
- Extensive knowledge of the Laboratories Financial system, policies and procedures.
- Financial Project Management experience.
- Master’s degree in Accounting or Finance, or closely related field, to include a core of relevant courses.
- Managerial or supervisory experience.
- This position is eligible for telecommuting.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans;
- Flexible Spending Accounts;
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave);
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan;
- 401(k) Plan;
- Flexible Work Arrangements including telework/hybrid model;
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs;
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis).
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or protected veteran status.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now