Senior ASIC Design EngineerJob ID 3355 Date posted 10/17/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The mission of the Instrumentation Division is to develop state-of-the-art instrumentation required for experimental research programs at Brookhaven Lab and to maintain the expertise and facilities in specialized high technology areas essential for this work. Development of facilities is motivated by present Brookhaven research programs and anticipated future directions of research. Our work has a significant impact on programs throughout the world that rely on state-of-the-art radiation detectors and readout electronics.
We seek a motivated Senior ASIC Design Engineer to join our team as a lead ASIC designer. In this role, you will design, develop, and build analog, digital and mixed-mode ASICs for instruments developed for BNL and our partners. You will collaborate with a diverse, multi-disciplinary group of scientists, engineers, and other technical team members in our ASIC team, the Instrumentation Division and across the entire community at BNL and elsewhere. We look for candidates from a broad range of ASIC design expertise from base-band analog, RF, digital, data converters, data transmission and sensors.
Our science and engineering challenges are complex and unique! We are engaged in the development of ASICs for particle detectors, high resolution X- and gamma-ray spectrometers, and high-rate photon counters and imagers. Our ASICs work in extreme environments (such as cryogenic temperatures) or must withstand extreme irradiation doses, thus represent unique layout challenges. We are also actively carrying out R&D programs focused on Quantum Information Science, Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning, and Neuromorphic Processing that require ASICs with specific layouts. The applications of these ASICs extend beyond BNL to a variety of international user facilities: your work will have the potential to shape the instruments used for scientific discovery and engineering advancements across the globe!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create innovative solutions and inspire new circuits design
- Spearhead the adoption of novel microelectronics technologies
- Take a lead role in the design of analog, digital or mixed-mode (i.e. analog-digital) ASICs for scientific instruments
- Develop design specifications based on theoretical analyses and in conjunction with application needs and carry out complex and independent design activities, including oversight of efforts of team members
- Design circuit networks, using schematic entry and layout tools with full-custom or timing-driven layout tools in Cadence or similar CAD/EDA environment
- Develop models of circuit networks and system components in hardware description languages specific for analog or digital modeling (Verilog-A and Verilog/SystemVerilog)
- Perform full-custom or automated from RTL code physical ASIC design implementation
- Build analog or digital test-benches and carry-out mixed analog and digital circuit simulations
- Lead project documentation, test-board designs, and laboratory testing
- Engage in codesigning of ASICs and sensors with Technology CAD tools, developing ideas in appealing directions in machine learning, artificial intelligence, quantum science and others
- Construct new project initiatives and develop proposals, making use of emerging technologies
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering, physical sciences discipline or closely related field of study
- Minimum seven (7) years progressively responsible related work experience
- Familiarity with specificity of ASIC design processes and flows
- Familiarity with CAD/EDA tools for ASIC design and their interoperability
- Ability to work with group members in a multi-user process and design managed environment, and step up to challenges
- Readiness for working on challenging projects that may have tight schedules
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Advanced degree (MSc or PhD) in an engineering, physical sciences discipline or closely related field of study
- Knowledge of readout integrated circuits for radiation sensors, including signal processing, signal filtering, signal conversion, data transmission, high speed electronics
- Sound background of solid-state circuits and integrated circuit design
- Ability to execute analog and/or digital ASIC design flows for performing design tasks
- Knowledge of front-end and back-end ASIC design elements, such as layout, physical verification, and design verification
- Ability of working with SKILL, Tcl/Tk, ASSURA and Calibre DRC/LVS verification decks syntax as well as operating system shell scripting or other scripting languages, such as Perl and Python
The selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level based on the depth and breadth of relevant engineering knowledge, skills and experience.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory, we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Tennis, Softball, Table Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/fileApply Now